• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga 3 vs. Kontakt 2

Share/Bookmark

Cool Giga 3 vs. Kontakt 2

Giga 3 vs Kontakt 2: Which do you prefer and why?

I am sure this isn't the first time the subject has been brought up. Which program should I purchase, and why? I have heark Kontakt is more stable, and has fewer set-up problems. Is this true? Will Kontakt be able to run sounds designed for Giga and not loose the perfomance setups? No flaming, please.

Re: Giga 3 vs. Kontakt 2

Unless your very good at wrestling with PC's I would say K2 will probably give you more returns for time invested. GS3 can really be difficult because of numerous factors which tend to be unique to each PC. It's not like owning a car model that has known bugs, it's that you are the only one with that exact car. I might swap a brand new PC over to K2 from GS3 cause I can't get the thing to work even though I have it working on a far inferior 2nd PC, so go figure.

The performance elements are all being developed for K2 so it's a safe bet.

Dave Connor

Quote Originally Posted by mmnoodles
    Giga 3 vs Kontakt 2: Which do you prefer and why?

I am sure this isn't the first time the subject has been brought up. Which program should I purchase, and why? I have heark Kontakt is more stable, and has fewer set-up problems. Is this true? Will Kontakt be able to run sounds designed for Giga and not loose the perfomance setups? No flaming, please.
    The answer to your question is "whichever you prefer". However, do remember that some libraries are Giga only and some Kontakt. There are translation programs (other than the built in ones) but these are not perfect for some libraries.

Hi,

if you have to use sampled piano librairies : Kontakt 2

take a look at :

http://music.mezo.com

For others kind od library, i don't know

Regards,

Olivier

For you, kontakt2.

Setting up Giga is really, really simple - as long as you are running compatible hardware. Check this thread for some known good configurations:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...d.php?t=25063&

That said, some of Giga's advantages are:

* GigaPulse - sounds great
    * The ability to stack instruments and easily setup your own keyswitches
    * The ability to do program changes - very important when working with Sibelius/Finale
    * Open system - no copy protection on Giga samples
    * Nice user interface with quick searches

Some of Kontakt's advantages are:

* The ability to run GPO and the newer EWQL instruments
    * Time Machine - I don't own Kontakt, but the ability to stretch phrases would be very nice
    * Um, I don't own it, so maybe some owners can add some other stuff here...

One place where GS3 and K2 do similar things, but with a completely different approach is with iMIDI & scripting...

GS3's iMIDI provides the ability to do round robins, legato and other automatic stuff. The iMIDI rules are easy to setup with a standard user interface, but they are limited to what the Tascam engineers add to the system.

K2 uses scripting. That can be very powerful, if you are up for writing scripts. You can get scripts from 3rd parties, but the quality could be variable. Right now the piano sympathetic resonance script exists in K2, but no such iMIDI rule exists in GS3 - yet.

I won't comment on relative performance, since I haven't tested the two side-by-side.

But GS3 is not "scary software", as some would lead you to believe. As long as your machine is healthy and compatible, the installation is as simple as any other software, and it's really simple to use for sample playback and setting up GigaPulse.

Think about it. If GigaStudio didn't work well, then why would so many GS libraries have been sold? On a solid machine, the thing is a workhorse.

-JF

I do own kontakt and the big advantage of kontakt is the timemachine. If you want to get out of your mind with samples editing tweaking VST, then kontakt is the way to go! If you want great sample libraries go for GS. I do own both but sadly enough they don't like each other. I like GS more then Kontakt mainly because of the userinterface so i went looking for a great compettitor for the timemachine! And great great great there is even an better timemachine dedicated sampler called Cronox from Linplug! And that timesampler works great with GS together!

So great sampler for getting out of the world voices/sounds with cronox and great samplelibraries with GS! The best combination for the rest of my life! I love GS and Cronox!

Go Back to forum