• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Potential GPO buyer

Share/Bookmark

Smile Potential GPO buyer

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this forum. I have recently come across GPO, and am trying to decide whether to buy it. Now granted I highly doubt that anyone in this particular chat room is going to hate GPO, but I was wondering if I could get some informed opinions about the program before I spend what is, to me, a good deal of money.

First thing to know is that I use Sibelius quite exclusively, and not only for Notation. I compose straight into sibelius, and have always considered they're playback to be "perfectly adequate" if you catch my drift. I was not pleased with Kontact however, and I am quite convinced that the samples in GPO are FAR superior. The question is how worth it is it to try to use GPO in conjunction with Sibelius? Do all those samples sound that good right away, or do I have to spend hours fidelling with controllers? I know about the whole C1 thing and the dynamics not working etc. and I guess I'm worried that if I get GPO, I am going to spend all my time getting things to sound right instead of composing. How much time does it take to get a good sample sound out of GPO/Sibelius, compared to Kontact/Siblieus?

And also, GPO looks huge. I have a 2.7GB hard drive, (I think) and 760 MB of Ram which I notice is a bit less than the recommended amount of 1 GB. Can I use GPO effectively? If I use the Dry samples as I have seen suggested, am I going to get significantly inferior results?

Thanks in advance for the help. GPO is clearly some amazing software, and I hope to be a regular in this forum soon.

Thanks again,
    Matthew Scott Phillips

Re: Potential GPO buyer

Hi Matthew.
    Can't speak for performance using Sibelius. I use the Cubasis package which came with it and it is excellent. I cannot think of anything that I do not like about it.

It is, however, a bit memory hungry so I would recommend an upgrade to 1Gb memory at least - the more you can have the better anyway.

If you want to hear what some of the samples sound like when sequenced try:

Mykyndryd Page

Hi, Mathew!
    Welcome to the forum!

Although I don't use sibelius, I can assure you that you won't spend THAT much time fiddling with controllers. The main ones you have to worry about are velocity (attack), mod wheel (dynamic), and sustain pedal (legato). There are many others that will tweak the sound just to your liking, but they're not absolutely nessesary for good results.

I think your RAM is fine, the hard drive seems a bit small, though. How much of it is filled up? You can get a good 120 GB drive for cheap these days. I see them around for around $50.

Dry samples won't give you any worse results than wet samples. Dry samples are simply without reverb, which the Ambience reverb plugin will take care of. The wet samples are simply for auditioning purposes. (I presonally never use the wet samples).

I would highly recomend GPO. You really get absolutely AMAZING results for the price. Keep in mind that the demos aren't made by the developers of GPO that know exactly how to use the library. They are made by normal users who probably haven't spent hours upon hours tweaking little things.

-Chris

Matthew,

GPO works well with Sibelius - some tweaking, but it does a very,very nice job. If you are accustomed to using the Mod wheel, you should do fine. One thing, and I'm not sure how Sibelius handles this - Mod wheel needs to send ~C1 messages, as opposed to ~C7 - I believe you can set that in GPO. Perhaps someone else on this forum can help with that.

I use Sibelius for notation, and I don't play into the score (no keyboard skills, alas...); I would think that if I can get a satisfying playback, you should do quite well.

It does seem that your system might be a little underpowered, as has been mentioned in earlier posts.

R. Pearl

Matthew,

One more thing - if you want to hear a Sibelius derived score, you can go to the demos page on this forum (probably the second page) , and you'll see My First GPO work, with my name as the topic starter. It's a shameless plug It was all done via Sibelius, inputting the notes one-at-time.

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Mattssound

And also, GPO looks huge. I have a 2.7GB hard drive, (I think) and 760 MB of Ram which I notice is a bit less than the recommended amount of 1 GB. Can I use GPO effectively? If I use the Dry samples as I have seen suggested, am I going to get significantly inferior results?

Matthew Scott Phillips
    One thing catches my eye: 2.7Gb is a very small hard drive by today's standards (that's an odd size too, if accurate.) A drive that small makes me wonder about the speed of the computer, since only older computers would include such small drives. Is it a PC or Mac? To run really smoothly you need to have a relatively quick computer. Macs tend to have slower clock speeds than PCs. I designed GPO on a 2.4Ghz PC and tested it on a 3.0Ghz PC. It can be run on slower computers (many users are successful on slower computers) but performance becomes more problematic at lower speeds.

We always recommend that only the dry instruments be used. The wet instruments use a reverb module built into the instrument itself and loading several instruments can strain even a relatively fast computer, that's why those instruments are for auditioning purposes only. The dry instruments are much more efficient. With Sibelius you would use GPO Studio (included in the package.) It lets you address 8 instances of GPO and has the Ambience reverb unit built in (the Ambience plugin is also included in the package.) It is superior to the reverb module used in the wet audition instruments. Actually, we have made the decision to eliminate the wet instruments entirely from the next version of library because it has caused considerable confusion (read: tech support) and is unnecessary to the proper use of the product.

Tom

I run GPO on P4 1.6mz laptop full orchestra w/ Finale and it runs GREAT!
    2.7GB hard drive???? I never knew they made such things, and it makes me wonder if your processor is strong enough. THis machine may be old?

2.7 G hard drive? Maybe that's how much space is available to still use.

R. Pearl

I'm a Sibelius user as well, and just got GPO in mid-June, so my experience may be germane.

GPO sounds are much superior to Kontakt, no question. Most sound quite real, never cheesy. However, while Sibelius playback through a soundcard (mine is SoundBlaster Live) or possibly a hardware synth or sampler is a piece of cake, Sibelius-GPO playback is a piece of hardtack for the novice. I've done almost no new orchestrating for the last month.

Unless you are already very knowledgeable about MIDI, you are going to spend quite a bit of time figuring out the tools rather than composing. The GPO documentation, such as it is, assumes that you are a sophisticated and experienced MIDI user who can intuit how to use the system. You have to know (or learn) where in whose documentation (Sib or GPO) to look for what. GPO's pertinent instructions for Sibelius users are scattered among a slim little booklet (partly outdated), posts in many places on this forum, a download page, and a Sibelius user page.

Both Sibelius and GPO documents tend to be reference works which explain functions from a technical standpoint (e.g., inserting C1 commands), not how to solve a musical task (different ways to control dynamics). Therefore if there are different ways to do the same musical task, you must intuit which different areas of the reference doc to look in. I have figured out four ways to influence or control dynamics (there would be five if I had a hardware mod wheel), and there may be others I don't know about. p and f indications in Sibelius notation do not work with GPO.

The people on the GPO forums are very knowledgeable and very helpful. Many have been doing digital audio for years. I have gotten much good advice here, but hesitate to take other users' time to answer one question after another. The alternative is to search on keywords in the forum and hope you hit a solution.

You will need some new hardware. GPO occupies almost exactly 2 GB on my drive. When I load the voices for a modest-sized orchestra, not including piano, I'm up to nearly 1 GB of RAM consumption. Particularly if a few other apps are running. Your CPU is at least as important: my 2.4 GHz Celeron was too slow for some pieces, so I just upgraded to a 2.8 P4 which is satisfactory thus far. I spent $139 plus delivery on GPO (special offer in May) and so far about $470 on CPU and memory. But time is the biggest expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattssound
    Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this forum. I have recently come across GPO, and am trying to decide whether to buy it. Now granted I highly doubt that anyone in this particular chat room is going to hate GPO, but I was wondering if I could get some informed opinions about the program before I spend what is, to me, a good deal of money.

First thing to know is that I use Sibelius quite exclusively, and not only for Notation. I compose straight into sibelius, and have always considered they're playback to be "perfectly adequate" if you catch my drift. I was not pleased with Kontact however, and I am quite convinced that the samples in GPO are FAR superior. The question is how worth it is it to try to use GPO in conjunction with Sibelius? Do all those samples sound that good right away, or do I have to spend hours fidelling with controllers? I know about the whole C1 thing and the dynamics not working etc. and I guess I'm worried that if I get GPO, I am going to spend all my time getting things to sound right instead of composing. How much time does it take to get a good sample sound out of GPO/Sibelius, compared to Kontact/Siblieus?

Thanks in advance for the help. GPO is clearly some amazing software, and I hope to be a regular in this forum soon.

Thanks again,
    Matthew Scott Phillips

I think you will find GPO an improvement over Kontakt Gold or Silver. There are some people on the Sib Chat pages who use it as you wish,

and they might be helpful. Sorry, I can't remember who. I use GPO mostly with Sonar, but I have used it without problems in Sibelius.

Better check your system spec again.

Richard

Go Back to forum