• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2006 - Anybody Using?

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2006 - Anybody Using?

I just "pre-ordered" the Finale 2006 upgrade.

This is supposed to have vastly enhanced Garritan support.

Anybody using this yet with GPO?

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Re: Finale 2006 - Anybody Using?

Yeah, its garbage. LOL

I'm just playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Yeah, its garbage. LOL

I'm just playing.
    Lol... hey, with Finale, you never know.

Finale 2005 is a royal pain in the backside in many -- make that many many many -- regards, for GPO.

However, 2006 appears to support legato properly and unless I misread it also looks like it will correctly handle articulations (even sfz, etc.).

No doubt, as is their very long-standing tradition, it will have a raft of quirks that make the improvements half useless until they come out with 2006b.

I should probably add, by the way, that despite my griping, I actually consider programs like Finale and others to be considerable achievements as software -- as a developer, I well recognize the incredible mountains of detail and difficulty that must be scaled to write such a tool.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

All I can say is.... it's gonna be good.

Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

No one is using yet because it hasn't been officially released - hense, PRE-ORDERING.

I am waiting to give the DEMO a really harsh and thorough test run before I lay down my money. I really think I will be upgrading - but not sure - I would like to see what Overture 4 is like before I totally make up my mind. (but being a Finale user, upgrading is much cheaper than paying full price for Ov.4)

We'll see. 2006 (esp. for Mac) looks to be the one they FINALLY got right. I would like to see, (and am sure they will address this soon), a revamped MIDI tool, with a Pencil to draw in CC data.

I do love that they improved speed in OSX. That was, more than anything else, one of the biggest incentives to make the move to Overture. Overture is fast fast fast - even on my old old old Mac. When using Finale 2004-2005 with larger scores - And when working just with SATB WITH LYRICS? wow - 1-2 second redraws and it does like 2 of them each time. Irritating to the extreme, esp when you are used to working very very fast.

I will see how the demo stacks up when it is released.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

I assume *someone* has their hands on it, because several of the demos at http://www.garritan.com/mp3.html show FINALE 2006...

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    I assume *someone* has their hands on it, because several of the demos at http://www.garritan.com/mp3.html show FINALE 2006...

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David, Andy Brick must be one of the lucky beta testers. His entries seem to be the only ones that have 2006 on them.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    David, Andy Brick must be one of the lucky beta testers. His entries seem to be the only ones that have 2006 on them.

Jerry
    Yes, so I assumed.

Maybe if Andy swings by the forum he might favor us with an impression or two.

On the Finale site, they say 2006 "works seamlessly" with Garritan GPO... and by golly, if that's true, I'll happily kiss somebody's feet over there... lol.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Me too!

I am sure they worked things out pretty well - HP in 2005 is close to it already - but I hope they will eventually give us more editing control over the little nuances (like improving that pesky MIDI tool.)

I am not sure how much Andy can talk - usually, beta testers sign some sort of non disclosure agreement. We'll just have to wait to see for ourselves when that demo comes out.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    We'll see. 2006 (esp. for Mac) looks to be the one they FINALLY got right. I would like to see, (and am sure they will address this soon), a revamped MIDI tool, with a Pencil to draw in CC data.
    My hopes are heavily stacked on the updating of the midi tool. It has been a long time coming, but if that time has arrived then a project can be done in its entirety within Finale and have as much midi performance nuance as anything done in a sequencer.

That, and the increase in the number of midi channels (and ports I hope) will make all the difference to me.

Go Back to forum