• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I need some advice-stereo vs. mono in GPO?

Share/Bookmark

I need some advice-stereo vs. mono in GPO?

I would like some input from others on this topic. Do you find that when you mix down in DP or any DAW, that you generally get better results (i.e. imaging, clarity, space, etc.) when you use mostly mono tracks and dedicate stereo to a few featured instruments, or do you use mostly stereo instruments. I find when I use VI's (Kontakt, GPO, etc.) that I'm always faced with this decision whether or not to open a mono or stereo instance of the VI. So, I was very interested in hearing what others are doing. This could also be related to the idea of using the mono to stereo reverb (plug-ins) as opposed to just stereo in and out.

TIA,

Tom

Re: I need some advice-stereo vs. mono in GPO?

The instruments in GPO are pre-panned within a stereo field to accurately reflect their position in the orchestra's acoustic space. I find that this works just fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by loogoo
    The instruments in GPO are pre-panned within a stereo field to accurately reflect their position in the orchestra's acoustic space. I find that this works just fine for me.
    Same here.

Tom,

I've found that certain instruments, such as the keyboards and (I think) the marimba (and possibly others) are sampled as wide-field stereo, which produces unrealistic results in a full orchestra situation. Not only are they panned across the stereo field, but they are reversed from the audience perspective: the higher notes are to the right and the lower to the left, which is the player's perspective.

I've found that I must isolate these instruments to their own audio outs and mono-ize them, and then position the mono out appropriately. Then, if necessary, put a widener on that track. This produces a more realistic result for me.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    Not only are they panned across the stereo field, but they are reversed from the audience perspective: the higher notes are to the right and the lower to the left, which is the player's perspective.
    Wow...I'm starting to feel like some of the others here who are constantly amazed at the level of technical expertise and talent on this forum! I will NEVER, EVER get to the point where I can notice that level of detail...seriously.

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

I use DP too, and many times I use one mono audio track in DP for track rendering of the mono instruments. There's no sense in wasting a stereo audio track for a mono instrument panned in a stereo field. I do prefer most of the time to keep the stereo sounds as they are, however as Bill P. said, accurate panning of some of these stereo instruments needs to be dealt with in detail, provided a traditional orchestral recording/performance environment is desired.

This is a list of the GPO instruments and their STEREO / MONO status as currently available in the October 2004 update...
    This stereo / mono status list pertains to the dry folder. Any instruments used from the WET folder will be stereo, but only because of the Ambience reverb.

dpDan

All Flutes MONO

All English Horns MONO

All Oboes MONO except...
    Oboe 2 Modern Solo and Oboe 3 Modern Solo (STEREO)

All Clarinets MONO
    All Bassoons MONO
    All French Horns MONO except...
    Overlay F, Overlay F AG, and Overlay FF (STEREO)

All Trumpets MONO except...
    Overlay, Overlay AG, TPT Piccolo NV Solo and TPT Piccolo V Solo (STEREO)

All Trombones MONO except...
    Overlay and Overlay AG (STEREO)

All Tubas MONO except...
    Overlay and Overlay AG (STEREO)

All Percussion Instruments STEREO except Snares KS (MONO)
    All Harps STEREO
    All Pianos STEREO
    All Pipe Organs STEREO
    All solo Violins MONO except... Violin 2 Strad Pizz Solo (STEREO)
    All solo Violas MONO
    All solo Cellos MONO
    All solo Basses MONO
    All section Strings STEREO

Thanks everyone for their feedback!

DP Dan, that list is very helpful!

Thanks again,

Tom

[QUOTE=DPDAN]Any instruments used from the WET folder will be stereo, but only because of the Ambience reverb.

Hi DPDAN,

Apart from the fact they eat CPU, are the wet samples preferable from an overall sound quality perspective? Apologies if this is a stupid question! Graham

[QUOTE=GrahamKeitch]
    Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Any instruments used from the WET folder will be stereo, but only because of the Ambience reverb.

Hi DPDAN,

Apart from the fact they eat CPU, are the wet samples preferable from an overall sound quality perspective? Apologies if this is a stupid question! Graham
    First, a small correction in Dan's post: The wet instruments do not use the Ambience reverb, they use the NI Kontakt reverb module.

Now, to the main question: No, the wet instruments are *not* preferable from a sound quality standpoint. The included Ambience plugin used in a aux send/return configuration with the dry instruments is preferable. The wet instruments are a convenience for auditioning purposes only. They are much too demanding on CPU to be practical (there's a separate reverb module in every instrument) and, while the KI reverb sounds surprisingly good, the quality of the Ambience reverb is higher. There are other 3rd party reverb plugins (including convolution) that are also of higher quality than the wet instrument's built-in reverb.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I knew that, and I should'nt have called it Ambience...

You're a good dude!

Dan

Go Back to forum