• Register
  • Help

Topic: multiple instances of kontakt2 aren't receiving input -- AAArgh!

Share/Bookmark

multiple instances of kontakt2 aren't receiving input -- AAArgh!

hi,

i'm working in cakewalk sonar, and using kontakt2 as my sample player. so far, i need to use about 30 different samples. i have each instrument sample on its own track, using its own channel/plugin pair. the problem i'm running into is the 16-instrument limit.

here is what i've tried:
    1- load a new kontakt player. from sonar's viewpoint, this is fine; i can assign the i/o to/from the 2nd kontakt player just fine. from kontakt's viewpoint, he can't get input. all channels are marked "unavailable".

2- different set of instruments on each multipage -- i put strings on page 1-16, ww on page 17-32, and brass on page 33-48. here, the pb is either all instruments assigned to the same channel play regardless of which page they're on, or the channel input says "unavailable" for all but the first port ["a", which is assigned to "host"].

i've read the docs, and in there it says that having many instruments play at once from the same channel can be very useful if you want to layer instruments. i don't have any use at all for that; i just want to play all my samples. SEPARATELY. what am i doing wrong?

thanks much.

Re: multiple instances of kontakt2 aren't receiving input -- AAArgh!

You can only use the first page of instruments when using Kontakt 2 as a plugin. The other pages only work if used as a standalone.

You can add another instance of Kontakt 2 to get another 16 MIDI channels. Then add another for another 16 channels, etc.

You have more than one midi input, right?

In sonar, the way I use kontakt2 is this: start sonar with an empty cwb file (file - new). Use <I>nsert, D<X>i synth, <N>i, <K>ontakt2 (three level pull down menu, on mine, because both EWQLSO and Kontak2 are registered as dxi instruments. Insert 16 midi tracks, assign midi port 1 and channels 1-16 to each one, assign the output from each to the kontakt2 dxi.

Load 16 instruments into the 01-16 page of kontakt2. Save this as a multi so you can load it again later.

That finishes your first instance of kontakt2 in sonar. You'll need to click the little button on each sonar imdi track that says 'input echo', I think. Got all that working?

Now insert another kontakt: insert dxi synth Ni kontak2. Insert 16 more midi tracks, assign MIDI PORT 2 (!) for each and channels 1-16. Assign the output from these to the second kontakt 2. Load 16 more instruments, save as another multi.

Save the sonar as a .cwb file. There is no midi data, just 32 assigned channels to 32 midi tracks which all go to one of two kontakt2 instances.

Make sure sonar has as input in its options both the midi ports used above. Make sure sonar's audio output goes somewhere you can hear it.

If you have 3 midi inputs, then you could add another kontakt2 instance.

Haven't yet needed this, but I have an 8-port midi over ethernet working (not MOL but similar, uses midi yoke for the midi ports). This would add 8 ethernet midi ports, so I could get 8 x 16 more midi channels in addition to the 32 hardware midi channels.

[edit] in checking out the setup for this question, just got an ethernet midi port working correctly (i use "Div's midi utilities for windows", search here if interested, have described it in the past). -- so now I have three loaded kontakt instances, 48 channels, all loaded up and ready to play. Using a little less than 1 gig of my 2 gigs memory, cpu reading in sonar at around 18%.

The main sequencer I use is on another computer, another instance of sonar, along with gigastudio and its 8 ports, 128 channels. [/edit]
    Altogether almost makes kontakt2 useful!

I was really hoping there'd be a way to use all 64 midi channels in K2 as a plug in. I haven't found a way yet but I find it hard to believe that it can't be done. The thing with opening 4 K2s is, it's gotta be hard on your CPU, yes?

Cheers
    Michael Telle
    Vagabond
    Bay Area

SOLVED: multiple instances of kontakt2 aren't receiving input -- AAArgh!

thanks very much for your excellent help, guglielmo! as far as i can figure, a lot of pb's can be resolved depending on the order. following your instructions, i didn't get the "unavailable" label on the port any more.

just fyi, what i did before is set up the multi in the standalone, then load that inside sonar, then set the tracks in sonar -- in other words, completely the opposite to what you suggested. that doesn't seem to work. [dunno, i unloaded and loaded the dxi so many times, reassigned, etc., ... ]

[rant]
    another thing i think is kindof bizarre, why should kontakt require that the *host* app have different midi inputs connected to the track? silly! it should just worry about itself having its own inputs from the host midi tracks' outputs and not even worry about what the host does.
    [/rant]

anyway, your description was great, i'm up and running now -- thanks!

Glad it worked for you. Found my own new problem in connection with getting three instances working: the second and third seem to be grabbing midi data from each other, so I get sounds simultaneously from both -- not what's wanted... hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by esteso
    I was really hoping there'd be a way to use all 64 midi channels in K2 as a plug in. I haven't found a way yet but I find it hard to believe that it can't be done. The thing with opening 4 K2s is, it's gotta be hard on your CPU, yes?

Cheers
    I dont think theres much more CPU overhead with multiple instances. The initial instance is what draws the power..after that the extra instances are redundant. Its like that for most VSTi`s anyways..same with RMX etc..Rich

Go Back to forum