• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does 1 Kontakt 2 eat more CPU than 2 Kontakt 1s?

Share/Bookmark

Does 1 Kontakt 2 eat more CPU than 2 Kontakt 1s?

Does 1 Kontakt 2 eat more CPU than 2 Kontakt 1s?

There have been rumblings that 1 instance of Kotakt 2 eats more CPU than 2 instances of Kontakt 1... with the same sounds loaded.

I'm more interested in the PC results.

Can anyone either confirm or deny these claims on a PC??

Thanks,

T

Re: Does 1 Kontakt 2 eat more CPU than 2 Kontakt 1s?

I havent noticed much of a diff. but if you add the K2 convolution then obviously there is...To be honest i havent done any back to back tests..since i havent bothered with 1.53 since installed K2, but if there is a diff. i dont think its major. K2 is a bigger program so its possible theres a 1 -2 % increase..Rich

Thanks rich.

Did anyone else do any comparative tests between the 2?

Thanks

T

I haven't done any exact A/B tests because I'd have to match my DFD settings exactly, and K2 has a different DFD engine. But I believe K2 uses just silghtly more CPU. However, it seems to have a better engine overall, running into less playback errors.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Thanks Zircon.

T

This is a bit lame and definately not a true benchmark test by any standards... but just to give you my basic ballpark real-world CPU impression of the two.
    Like i said , i dont have 1.53 on my systems anymore so I though i`d test on Kompakt since its about the same engine ( perhaps a little less CPU hungry since its a stripped down version on K 1.53)
    I loaded up the Standalone PMI Bosey 290 Kompakt " dry basic Patch" and played a 5 note Cmaj chord held. = CPU 3% , all FX off (filters +EQ in this case) = 2%. ...
    Same Chord but held 1/4 notes at 120 with sustain pedal on, settles and hovers around 35%. FX off = 27%

Buffer setting were set at the default standard "expert settings" ~ 256 reserved Stereo voices, 93 mb total memory , Dont forget, this DFD 1.29

Same patch in K2.02 with default buffer settings and DFD 1.3 = almost identical results !
    K2 was showing a 1% increase with the FX+ EQ fiters on sometimes ,but with them off.. i couldn`t get my CPU readings in the Taskmanager to deviate from K2 to Kompakt.. so even if there is an increase its extremely subtle and not at all as dramatic as the rumor you might have heard.....
    Plus so much stuff is system dependant. 1 bad stick of bad ram can cause all kind of intermitent problems or imbalanced PCI buss latency between your soundcard and video card can cause all kinds of undesirable effects when recording etc..Best, Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the testing and the detailed response.

I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

T

Quote Originally Posted by Thonex
    Hi Rich,

Thanks for the testing and the detailed response.

I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

T
    YOur welcome.. i hope if you get it that you enjoy it.."its a great piece of kit" as they say..very interesting sampler. Rich

Go Back to forum