• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Debate?

Share/Bookmark

Wink Debate?

This morning a student asked about something she read in the "Harper's Dictionary Of Music". Question was, "Does A major and a minor really have the same key signature, three sharps?" A major has three sharps, F# C# G# but "a" minor is actually relative to "C" major and has no sharps or flats. So, how can a "Dictionary of Music" state, "A major and a minor have the same key signature, three sharps?" This Dictionary looks to be old published 1973.
    So, what are we missing here? I looked at her, paused a bit, then grab the book from her and threw it out the winder.

Oops, sorry. I think you are right Skysaw. Ezz been edited.
    Styxx

Re: Debate?

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    This morning a student asked about something she read in the "Harper's Dictionary Of Music". Question was, "Does A major and a minor really have the same key signature, three sharps?" "A" major has three sharps, F# C# G# but "a" minor is actually relative to "C" major and has no sharps or flats. So, how can a "Dictionary of Music" state, "A major and a minor have the same key signature, three sharps?" This Dictionary looks to be old published 1973.
    So, what are we missing here? I looked at her, paused a bit, then grab the book from her and threw it out the winder.
    Just because it was published in 1973 is no excuse. Current key signatures have been around for about 300 years as far as I know!

How did this get published (or missed in editing)!

I have it now and reading through to see what other discrepancies evolve.
    Styxx

I often type "a" when I mean "f#." Doesn't everyone?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

OK, here are their 3 sharps –

If you look at A minor harmonically you need to have a major V so the third of E has to be sharp to get V major. There’s one (the third of the dominant).

Now take a look melodically. Going up to a we need the leading tone to be sharped (sharpened) to make it a real leading tone. If we do that, we need to sharp the submediant so there is not an augmented second between them. So there are sharps numbers two and three (leading tone and submediant).

Logical, no? What do you mean “no”?
    Trent P. McDonald

You do know that the "third of the dominant" and the leading tone are both the same note, g#, right?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Right about now I wish I knew how to speak music.

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    You do know that the "third of the dominant" and the leading tone are both the same note, g#, right?
    There’s a reason I didn’t use note names. And of course even following my twisted logic the key signature of a minor is still no sharps or flats no matter how many sharps you might actually use when writting music.
    Trent P. McDonald

I wonder if that editor still has a job

Peace

Rik

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    This Dictionary looks to be old published 1973.
    Looks like another case of "if you can REMEMBER the 70's you weren't there". This editor must have REALLY been there!
    ;-0

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Go Back to forum