• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Wish me luck, Guys..

Share/Bookmark

OT: Wish me luck, Guys..

I don't think I've done a personal plea on here before but here goes....

In my day job I am a cost consultant, and was hired by my current company almost 8 years ago to head up a new project with a new client.

Over the years I built up the contract from dealing with about 10% of that client's work (other comapnies dealing with the remainder) to for the last two years dealing with 100% of all that client's projects nationally - and we're talking multi-millions of pound projects here.

After all that time and effort, they have re-tendered the works and it looks pretty much like the whole project is going to be civen to another company - who has no experience in this sector - who are about 10% cheaper than our company.

Luckliy this is no great shakes becasue we have just secured another couple of clients that more than make up for the loss of this contract.

So why do I need the luck?

Well I've got to go to a meeting this morning with my client - ostensibly to discuss all the operational issues that could be improved to make the new consultant's life a lot easier! So I've got to go and sit there knowing that they will only be my client for two more weeks, and convince them that I am trying to help them, but obviously I don't really want to do anything of the sort.

It'll be a fine balancing act of keeping them happy (you never know when you'll need an old client again in the future) but not giving away any of our trade secrets to help the new guys on the block.

Should be fun!

I'll let you know how it goes later on tonight.

Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: OT: Wish me luck, Guys..

Never burn bridges

Good luck!
    Dan

Richard,

I also work with contractors, and the key is to stay focused on the client's needs, not the new contractor's needs. If they want something that is proprietary, simply tell them that you will have to clear some of the requirements with your management chain, but will try to give them everything they require. Your management then needs to determine what is proprietary and what can be shared.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Thumbs up Re: OT: Wish me luck, Guys..

Hey Richard. Sounds as if you already have 'em beat! My wishes for the best of luck for you this morning!
    Styxx

Good luck richard

Old comedian's proverb. Leave them laughing. In all senses of the words.

One thing that I have learned in this life...there is always tomorrow. They will remember you and how gracious you were at that meeting. Believe you me, they will be back, and you will probably work with them again, because of how you acted at that meeting

Peace

Rik

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    Richard,

I also work with contractors, and the key is to stay focused on the client's needs, not the new contractor's needs. If they want something that is proprietary, simply tell them that you will have to clear some of the requirements with your management chain, but will try to give them everything they require. Your management then needs to determine what is proprietary and what can be shared.
    Richard,

I've also spent my career working as a contractor and have been thru this situation several times. Wes37's advice is right on target...stay focused on the customer (who WILL remember how you conduct yourself), provide transition help to the new contractor right up to that "proprietary line", BUT don't offer the new contractor anything they don't have the sense to ask for.

Good Luck!
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Thanks for the good thoughts and advice guys, it's much appreciated.

I'm pleased to say that the meeting went very well - all I did was repeat issues that we'd already raised in the past and that had already been minuted - so I gave them nothing more than they should already have been aware of. They thought that the meeting - and my coments - had been really useful.

Amazing, all they really needed to have done was read the previous minutes.

The biggest laugh was that they said at the end of the meeting that they hadn't actually made their minds up as to who they were actually going to award the contract to, and that we were still in the frame.

Still, at least I didn't burn any bridges or pi$$ anybody off.

Best of all for me, I had the afternoon off and enjoyed the brief, swealtering summer that is currently in the UK.

Even better! - I had a session with a big band tonight and the [Tom Hopkins alert] super C's were coming out like big fat laser cannons - all in the best possible taste of course.

Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Glad the merting went well for you. You had some people here sending good thoughts over your way (and good advice).

A session with a big band tonight with the [Tom Hopkins alert] super C's - Doesn't get much better than that!

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum