• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Is GOS2 dead?

Share/Bookmark

Question Is GOS2 dead?

Is GOS2 dead?

Re: Is GOS2 dead?

As a GS3 release, I'm under the impression it is. But the work that was done on it will be a part of GPO Advanced. Someone with more definitive knowledge will probably jump in...

I believe there is no market there anymore.

Thanks god, we can have focus on one good product. GPO is an enhanced and wrapper over GOS, and ultimately a better product all around.

Quote Originally Posted by alDigi
    Is GOS2 dead?
    GOS2 will be integrated into GPO Advanced. The string-only sample market is quite saturated and it would be beneficial for the user to have the rest of the instruments of the orchestra at their disposal.

Gary Garritan

I hope you still continue to sell the original GOS.

I can understand that the string-only sample market is saturated, but for breadth of articulations, there is little to compete with GOS - even VSL does not have a second violin section. Is there any chance that there may be a official Garritan or user-created reprogramming of GOS to take advantage of GS3 iMidi rules and do away with Maple tools? Are the current legato transition samples appropriate for use with the new portamento rule?

Is GOS2 dead?

I agree. When I purchased Garritan Orchestral Strings, I was under the impression that one of the benefits of selecting this library would be periodic updates. At that time there had been some updates. However, there has not been an update since I purchased it.

There are a couple of obvious improvements that could be made in an update:

24 bit samples. The original recordings were made in 24 bit, and the manual specifically says that this was to facilitate conversion to 24 bit when the industry reached this point. It has. There is no recording work to be done, only programming.

Use of the iMIDI rules. Currently, legato masking samples and up/down bow switching is handled using the Maestro Tools program (which I do not use, because I connect ProTools and GigaStudio using Re-Wire). GigaStudio3 has features that would allow this functionality without Maestro Tools, so this also is a programming issue.

I'm sorry about the size of the market for new sales, but I think Gary has some responsibility to his existing customers. BTW, I own Garritan Personal Orchestra too, but I would rather use Orchestral Strings.

I'm intrigued by this news in two respects. 1) Will GOS 2 be fully incoproated in GPO Advanced or only part of it? 2) Will it feature the type of functionality that Maestro Tools provided in GOS Advanced? I hadn't planned on getting GPO Advanced but had planned on getting GOS 2 so if this is my ticket in... :-)

GOS id DEAD

GOS is not dead by any means, but very much alive and kicking. I am sure Gary will elaborate on this.

JW.

Go Back to forum