• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga sample drives and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Giga sample drives and GPO

It was mentioned that gigastudio should have its own drive for the samples and the application data be on another drive. Would it be OK for me to put my GPO samples (Kontakt) on my sample drive also? It would just save room on my application drive and make load times faster. Or should I put my GPO application data and samples on my main drive? Or should I put my GPO application and samples on the sample drive (I'm assuming a bad idea)? Can the Giga app data even be on the same drive as the GPO app data because of the giga/kontakt incompatibility? I hope to be using giga and GPO at the same time once I have this all set up.

Also: I'm looking for a good sample drive and I just thought of something: if gigastudio streams, then how does it stream multipule samples at once? Doesn't that require a special interface? What about the cache? Does it need to be large to optimaly run gigastudio? How exactly does the disc streaming work?

Thanks,
    -Chris

Re: Giga sample drives and GPO

That's a lot of questions -- but you should be ok sharing a sample drive with the gpo samples and the gigastudio samples. Better that, I think, than either gpo or gigastudio sharing the system/application drive. They should work ok together as long as you resolve access to your sound card and its drivers correctly. Your sequencer should be the place to start in getting things working together, probably. Or, on reflection, try this: start gigastudio; configure your sequencer in gigastudio settings under 'external editor/sequencers'; from the sequencer, add kompakt (gpo) as a vst or dxi instrument. Then you'll get all 8 ports of gigastudio plus 1 port (16 channels) per instance of gpo, and this setup should take care of sound card access correctly. maybe ...

Depends on your memory. If you are loading GPO fully into memory, you don't need to worry about what drive to put them on. They will not stream. Moreover, its recommended that they never stream off a hard drive (e.g. DFD disabled).

A sample drive is a great resource, if it's much larger than your samples. You can store whatever you want there, as long as:

1) You don't access the data while streaming, and
    2) You keep the drive defragmented.

I keep backup data on mine.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    That's a lot of questions -- but you should be ok sharing a sample drive with the gpo samples and the gigastudio samples. Better that, I think, than either gpo or gigastudio sharing the system/application drive. They should work ok together as long as you resolve access to your sound card and its drivers correctly. Your sequencer should be the place to start in getting things working together, probably. Or, on reflection, try this: start gigastudio; configure your sequencer in gigastudio settings under 'external editor/sequencers'; from the sequencer, add kompakt (gpo) as a vst or dxi instrument. Then you'll get all 8 ports of gigastudio plus 1 port (16 channels) per instance of gpo, and this setup should take care of sound card access correctly. maybe ...
    Oh!

I didn't even think of that (about the sound card)! Thanks a lot!

I'm still shopping hard drives for a good sample drive. This is the one I had in mind:
    http://att.dealtime.com/xPF-Western_...I_7200rpm_16MB
    Does it have a large enough buffer? I was just told by my friend who's helping me get a good giga system running that gigastudio wants a large buffer. Is 16 MB enough? Also, I realize that it's only 7,200 RPM, but all of the 10K RPM drives have only a 150 MBps external transfer rate and this drive has a 300MBps external transfer rate. Is this number saying that the drive can put 300 megabites per second into the system? That's really fast!!

What do you think?

-Chris

EDIT: and another thing: exactly how much of the sample is loaded into RAM? The reason I ask is that this particular drive has a 9 ms seek time and it would be good if at least 20 ms of the sample was loaded into RAM.

Go Back to forum