• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Syncing two PCs

Share/Bookmark

Syncing two PCs

Hi all...

I am about to purchase two DAWs. Actually build them. I will be using SONAR 4 in one machine and Vegas in the other. I want to to separate my sampler machine which will run SONAR, EWQLSO Gold, Coloosus, RA, etc from the video machine so as not to overload the CPU. Question: How can I sync these two up? Consider I will run Vegas or SoundForge for the video. The idea is to hit play in SONAR or Vegas and both cmputers lock and roll in sync. Is this possible? If it is, what soundcards must I use?

Thnx

Pablo

Re: Syncing two PCs

It's possible, but I don't know that it will work as nicely as one would hope. I've done the same on a single machine with Vegas 5 and Sonar 3 using MIDI time code. You could accomplish the same on two computers by using a MIDI cable between them, or MIDIoverLAN..

The results that I got weren't promising. There was a long delay before the second app would start up. Things weren't reliable. Maybe on two machines it would be different.

I've had more luck rendering stuff from Vegas, then loading it into Sonar. To keep things light, use your second PC to host the sampler. You could also render the Vegas video, then start an audio project in Vegas, and record your tracks into it. Bruce Richardson recently did 100% of the music and audio for a feature-length film that way with well over 100 tracks.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35276

-JF

1) Can't you just make a reference QuickTime work print and run it under Sonar while you are working on the smae machine? Then mix down and move your mixes to SoundForge for final edit?

2) To sync MIDI across, you might want to consider something like MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV

3) You might want to flip it, and have the video drive the sequencer. You would have to lay down a SMPTE timecode track in your video, and drive your sequencer as a slave using a converter like AV.

4) Always sync your devices to one master clock. You can purchase a device to perform this function for your studio.

well, my idea was two machines to free up CPU....but I guess I can load maybe three gigs of RAM on one machine, and if I run Quicktime in SONAR, that would not take up too much CPU I think...I always wanted two PCs too do this, but I guess with a good AMD or Intel (fast) and ots of RAM, then I am better off on one PC...

Thnx guys..

Pablo

I dont think you need to add more memory.

Using QT, you can create a reference version for scoring that your system can handle - smaller size, lower # of colours etc - based on your full AVI file etc. This ref can stream from disk and not impact memory or performance.

Do i stream from disk on SONAR? So I use import video in SONAR, but it loads it and streams it? I have always loaded QT into SONAR, but is it streaming or is it in RAM?

Thnx

Quote Originally Posted by FilmComposerZ
    Do i stream from disk on SONAR? So I use import video in SONAR, but it loads it and streams it? I have always loaded QT into SONAR, but is it streaming or is it in RAM?
    Streaming. Videos are generally too big to fit in RAM.

-JF

So it's streaming!! reat guys, then I'll just go with a VisionDAW. The good news....I just saved a bunch of money.....on my car insurance

No really, that makes the purchasing so much easier. I'll go with a reliable system like VionsDAW, or I'll just biuld one super power PC.

Pablo

QT will stream. But, since you made a smaller reference version for scoring off your main AVI file, it wont overtax your processing for other things. If you try opening and running a 3G AVI file in your sequencer, you will die...

Would FX-Teleport be able to link to machines for this?

Go Back to forum