• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which Midi Keyboard - Newbie Question

Share/Bookmark

Which Midi Keyboard - Newbie Question

So I ordered & received the GPO software. My first consternation was when the manual talked about a 'mod wheel'. Although I know quite a bit about computers, this MIDI stuff is new to me. I recently bought a Yamaha pf1000 electronic piano, which I really enjoy. I am a piano player, and the thing does NOT need tuning. Now, it has MIDI inputs & outputs, which I have tested, and I know they work. But what's a MOD wheel? Do I now have to buy a completely new keyboard? If so, which one. Or hopefully, can I add a MOD wheel to my pf1000?
    I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
    TIA,
    Dr Magu

Re: Which Midi Keyboard - Newbie Question

Hi, Drmagu!
    Welcome to the nuthouse we call Northern Sounds!

If your pf1000 has a mod wheel, it's the wheelie looking thing all the way down on the left of your keyboard. If it bends the pitch, it's the pitch wheel. Usually if there's a mod wheel there's also a pitch wheel meaning that there should be two wheels. If you don't have a mod wheel, I don't know what to tell you. I just draw all of my mod data right into my sequencer (Cakewalk, in my case). Do you have a sequencer? GPO comes bundled with Cubasis VST, but IMO it's really difficult to understand and not worth the effort to try and figure out. I use Cakewalk Music Creator 2002, which was only $40, but it only supports DXi, not VSTi, so you have to deal with stuffl like stuck notes on tempo changes and stuff.

You mentioned you were new to MIDI. If you don't understand anything I just said, just let me know and I can explain it all in a legnthy email or something.

If your keyboard does not have a mod wheel, you should see about getting a new keyboard, BUT that's only if you're more comfortable recording MIDI. Personally, I'm more comfortable entering MIDI data manually so I don't even use my keyboard for recording that much. If your keyboard has a thirty day return policy or something similiar that hasn't expired yet then I would recomend you return it IF you perfer recording MIDI.

Again, if you don't understand anything here or if you understand absolutely nothing here, I would be happy to explain to you the world of MIDI.

Hope I was of some help!
    -Chris

No wheels on the Pf1000, I'm afraid, which is a shame because it's a pretty sweet unit otherwise. There are some little MIDI boxes available that can add that functionality without having to buy a whole new keyboard. I can't right now but soon i'm sure either myself or someone will post some examples to this thread. Don't panic!!

PS-- you *might* want to consider a second controller for another reason- many find some instruments in GPO (timpani, say) are easier to play without using a weighted action. You could get a non-weighted controller with 61 keys and a mod wheel very cheap, like this one and have the best of both worlds.

Talking Re: Which Midi Keyboard - Newbie Question

Quote Originally Posted by drmagu
    So I ordered & received the GPO software. My first consternation was when the manual talked about a 'mod wheel'. Although I know quite a bit about computers, this MIDI stuff is new to me. I recently bought a Yamaha pf1000 electronic piano, which I really enjoy. I am a piano player, and the thing does NOT need tuning. Now, it has MIDI inputs & outputs, which I have tested, and I know they work. But what's a MOD wheel? Do I now have to buy a completely new keyboard? If so, which one. Or hopefully, can I add a MOD wheel to my pf1000?
    I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
    TIA,
    Dr Magu
    Dr Magu:

I agree with Fred. You'll probably need an actual midi controller. In addition to the Mod and Pitch Wheels you'll need sustain and volumn pedal jacks. The legato in GPO is controlled by the sustain pedal.

In my recent search for the perfect controller (for me) I looked for these features also. Transpose, split keyboard, velocity curves, velocity sensitive keys, aftertouch, simi weighted keys and of course reliability.

I ended up with the Studiologic SL-161pro. They now have them for a ridiculesly low price at Musicians Friend. Another keyboard getting a lot of attention right now is the CME.

BTW welcome to the forum.

HTH

Paul
    AMD Athlon 64X2 4400+ 2.2GHz
    XP Pro 2GB Ram
    80GB OS, 160GB Audio, 320GB Samples
    Delta 66 Omni Sonar 5PE GPO, JABB

Thumbs up Re: Which Midi Keyboard - Newbie Question

drmagu.
    Aren't you glad you posted your question here? These guys are some of the best and knowledgeable people any forum could have and they are here for your every request! Good luck and a big welcome to the NI forum!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Good luck and a big welcome to the NI forum!
    So the rumor is true: Garritan bought out Native Instruments!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum