• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt VSL library

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt VSL library

Hi.
    I'm considering upgrading to K2 and was wondering about the useability of the VSL library that comes with it. What exactly comes with it? Are the instruments very useable or are they just crippled versions of the full version? Example, do the woodwinds have multiple articulations such as stacatto and legato? How does it stack up to the Opus 1 package? Significantly inferior? Does it come close?
    Your insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jamey

http://jameyscott.com

Re: Kontakt VSL library

Hey Jamey,

I would have though you already owned everything

Can't comment on Opus 1, but here are the flute articualtions by way of an example:

01 Standard Instruments
    Flute (all).nki
    Flute (fortepiano).nki
    Flute (sforzando).nki
    Flute (stac 1).nki
    Flute (stac 1+2 alt).nki
    Flute (stac 1+2).nki
    Flute (stac 2).nki
    Flute (sustain).nki

02 Modwheel X-Fades
    Flute (all X).nki
    Flute (fortepiano X).nki
    Flute (sforzando X).nki
    Flute (stac 1 X).nki
    Flute (stac 1+2 alt X).nki
    Flute (stac 1+2 X).nki
    Flute (stac 2 X).nki
    Flute (sustain X).nki

03 Release Triggers
    Flute (sustain+rls).nki

04 Legato Instruments
    Flute (legato).nki

The included K2 samples are great by themselves and include basic articulations for the main orchestral instruments. After playing with them for awhile, you'll probably want to invest in Opus 1 or the Opus 1 & 2 bundle if you're into that sort of thing :-)

Oh, and it's a great sampler too (included samples aside).

fizbin

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I would have thought you already owned everything
    Nope. I never bought VSL. I've been pretty happy with the stuff that I've already got but I'm starting up a new show in about 6 months which has a tremendous speed factor involved so I'm trying to see where I can chop time off of my production process. I normally play my woodwinds and hire out my brass but it takes a lot of time for that so I'm thinking about doing these parts with samples. I have EWQLSO which is great for large orchestra but I need solo instruments with less verb.

I think maybe I'll just get the Opus bundle. There seems to be a lot of articulations in the Kontakt set, but based on what I read on the NI site, there's only 30 instruments. Is this correct? Does that include full ensembles?

Thanks,
    -Jamey

Quote Originally Posted by IOComposer
    Nope. I never bought VSL. I've been pretty happy with the stuff that I've already got but I'm starting up a new show in about 6 months which has a tremendous speed factor involved so I'm trying to see where I can chop time off of my production process. I normally play my woodwinds and hire out my brass but it takes a lot of time for that so I'm thinking about doing these parts with samples. I have EWQLSO which is great for large orchestra but I need solo instruments with less verb.

I think maybe I'll just get the Opus bundle. There seems to be a lot of articulations in the Kontakt set, but based on what I read on the NI site, there's only 30 instruments. Is this correct? Does that include full ensembles?

Thanks,
    -Jamey
    Yea , its faily limited. Sort of designed to give you a taste of VSL without having to use the Perf. Tool.. so that you buy there full Packages. The best thing for me abut VSL is some of the Horizon series and the Perf. Set...If I were you I`d look into the Perf. Set. for the solo inst. etc. and that would round out your collection along with QLSO Jamey...Best, Rich

Opus 1 has far and away more going for it. The trick is to get the proper scripts for Kontakt 2 to make the Opus patches more useable without having to deal with the performance tool.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    Opus 1 has far and away more going for it. The trick is to get the proper scripts for Kontakt 2 to make the Opus patches more useable without having to deal with the performance tool.
    Thats true ..never thought of that..Rich

Thanks for the input. Is the performance tool really so cumbersome? I would think that learning the scripting functions of Kontakt would be the greater of two potential evils. I've thought about getting the performance library but it's my understanding that you need the cube library as well to make it all work out. Is this incorrect?

-Jamey

Quote Originally Posted by IOComposer
    Thanks for the input. Is the performance tool really so cumbersome? I would think that learning the scripting functions of Kontakt would be the greater of two potential evils. I've thought about getting the performance library but it's my understanding that you need the cube library as well to make it all work out. Is this incorrect?

-Jamey
    Jamey..the scripting from scratch is way more involved than the PT but theres already scripts available (do a search on this forum actually) that replace the PT so its already done for you. You jsut load in the perf. patch and them aplly the sctipt and save in K2 and them its ready to go the next time you use that patch.
    I use Platinum with the VSL perf. Set and its a great combo. QSLO being my bread and butter and the perf. set some icing for the stuff that QLSO cant do..which isnt a ton anyways. Or just bring in your orchestral friends to do the hard stuff ..its probably faster that learning a new sample set like VSL. VSL is alot harder to master at 1st than QLSO..Rich

Using the Performance Tool involves creating new outs etc. and jumping through a few hoops. While it's not that difficult, it's much easier to just use a script. If scripts aren't yet available (I know legato and repetition scripts are), they will be soon.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Go Back to forum