• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Miroslav Philharmonik demos

Share/Bookmark

Question Miroslav Philharmonik demos

What do you people really think about the (4 available) demos of the new Miroslav Philharmonik? Better than the old or worse? I have never tried the old MV-library myself but personally, I'm a little disappointed with the demos in terms of realism. I think the old official demo at Ilio sounds, much, much better, and have a clearer and more realistic sound. (Strange that many people here thinks that the Ilio-demo sucks...)

If Miroslav Philharmonik is "overproduced" (polished) like many of the new libraries are, I think it would remove some of the magic which has surrounded the sounds, thus making it sound, well, synthy... Any thoughts about that?

I kind of like the sound of old libraries and I use the Roland orchestral libraries quite a lot. They just sound so much more organic than many of the new orchestral libs...

Anyway, I really hope this new package will turn out to be good, since I've been wanting this library for some time now, without having to spend some $3000

Re: Miroslav Philharmonik demos

I checked out a few of the old MV demos, and they sounded about appropriate for their age. However, one of the new demos, showcasing with part of the New World Symphony, was particularly underwhelming to me. Squids himself admitted that he's not really experienced in this field, and that he's not all that great at demos. I'm baffled as to why they don't have other people doing them, because I think we all know MV is capable of quite a lot, and Philharmonik should be even more so.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_st
    However, one of the new demos, showcasing with part of the New World Symphony, was particularly underwhelming to me. Squids himself admitted that he's not really experienced in this field, and that he's not all that great at demos. I'm baffled as to why they don't have other people doing them, because I think we all know MV is capable of quite a lot, and Philharmonik should be even more so.
    It's just not programmed that well. Sounds like a straight dump from a MIDI without too much tweaking. It's not very musical, from a tempo standpoint, which really hurts it. It's rushed quite a bit. Some of the sounds would express much more nicely if the tempo were just a bit less bright so that the roundness of tone would have a bit more time to develop.

The Miroslav sounds are capable of quite a lot. It actually took me right back to hear them, even though this particular demo was not the most effective. If you are composing "in the pocket" for them--despite their much reduced velocities and even pitch--there is a palpable musicality in them that has not in some cases been matched since.

I'll say this. I wasn't overly impressed with the demos although the timbre of most of the instruments is great, the actual midi passages left a lot to be desired. And I'm with everyone else, I think it behooves developers to have someone more capable put together demos if their own abilities are lacking.

What surprised me is there is an enormous bang for the buck with this. The articulation list is impressive.

I'd hold off until I heard better demos, no matter that the 'discount' ends before then. I've also got some concerns about the SampleTank engine.

I have to say I was surprised at how "thown together" the demos sound for the most part. I know that part of the hype for this product is the live playability of the Sample Tank engine, but I think we've all gotten accustomed to hearing really carefully put together demos that present a very polished and musical performance - and I think that probably for the majority of us our work will consist of carefully editing MIDI data with such a result in mind. With a few fine libraries out there already in this price range (with very fine demos available) it really would benefit Miroslav Philharmonik to put its best case scenario out there for us to be inspired by.

Smile Re: Miroslav Philharmonik demos

I love this instrument. I do undertand what others arte complaining about(DEMOS)but, demos have make or break my purchasing decisons. I can trruly hear the instruments in each demo. It's the instruments that has sould me as well as the beautiful and functional interface. I'm ordering ASAP.!!

I love this period of time in music creation. So many "good" choices for us Composers to mix and match differnt Librarys and Vsti instruments. Wow!!

I am sure everyone is with me when I say, I along with a lot of others here could easily make these demos MUCH better. It sounds if they just notated in midi, without controllers and no overlapping of notes etc. These demos will NOT get them an increase in sales.
    Adam Frechette
    Alternate Future Productions, LLC. CEO
    Composition | Web Design
    - www.morningswrath.com
    - www.etherealdarkness.com
    - www.audiostreet.net/adamfrechette

Off topic real quick, has anyone noticed how expressive ultimate strings are? I used the viola in place of vsl's viola and I was amazed at how much more lyrical it was. It has more vibrato (but not too much) and a warm sound to it. Sure, it has "air" in the samples, but that can be taken care of with some minor EQ in the high frequencies.
    Adam Frechette
    Alternate Future Productions, LLC. CEO
    Composition | Web Design
    - www.morningswrath.com
    - www.etherealdarkness.com
    - www.audiostreet.net/adamfrechette

Adam, are you talking about solo strings? I'm not familiar with Ultimate Strings, but I've been eyeing the solo strings (Horizon) from VSL for a few weeks now. The demo of the Pro Edition Solo Strings (the Schindler's List demo) is to die for.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Frechette
    I am sure everyone is with me when I say, I along with a lot of others here could easily make these demos MUCH better. It sounds if they just notated in midi, without controllers and no overlapping of notes etc. These demos will NOT get them an increase in sales.
    No doubt about that! There are many good composers and midimockup'ers on this forum!

Can't wait to hear the user demos when MPh it is released. If I like what I hear I will certainly buy it!

To me, some instruments in the demos at www.philharmonik.com , (the strings in particular), have that choke-effect you get when you cut out the release on the notes. Sort of like with my old AO; only better sound!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast