• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Heading West - a GPO-based western spec cue

Share/Bookmark

Smile Heading West - a GPO-based western spec cue

Heading West

This is a cue I put together based on a spec film clip I pulled from "Tombstone" - as an impromptu audition. I only want to put up the music, but might share the full clip on an individual/private-viewing only basis if pestered enough. The GPO agressive instruments really saved the day in the second and third sections of the cue. I wanted to do some understated "suspense" music, a bit of bang-up odd-metered stuff, and then an expansive thematic exposition that was shared amongst the entire brass section. I could get into instrument choice, production notes, and some description of the cue itself, but I'll save that for later for those that are interested. Just remember that the extended "lulls" in the piece are to allow critical dialog to flow through - the rest should take care of itself. The cue is under 3:30, and the total file size is just over 3MB - just FYI. Enjoy and thanks for listening.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Thumbs up Re: Heading West - a GPO-based western spec cue

Houston,
    great, really!!!!!!
    It seems to hear the music from a western movie scene.
    Your GPO sounds very real!!!
    And also the composition is simply great!!!
    I have to give you only my congratulations!!!!
    It is fantastic.
    (Maybe the finale is a little bit CUT!??)

Best of luck,
    Roberto

Re: Heading West - a GPO-based western spec cue

Wow! Turn up the speakers! That turned out great! I too am impressed by your use of the GPO sounds. I hope that I can achieve your level of ability. Very professional. I wish you the best on your audition. Good work!
    ~Paula

Wild Wild West meets Mission Impossible meets...

Seriously, very nicely done. I especially like the heroic theme in the last part. You're going to be able to get some real mileage out of that!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Cool Spec job. Hope you get the gig.
    Sincerely,

Jonathan
    www.hollandaudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by beach
    (Maybe the finale is a little bit CUT!??)
    Thanks everyone - yup, I only had time for some simple exposition of the theme at the end. The montage that it covered was only that long, and afterward the visuals took off in a Copland-esqe "Rodeo" type scene with lots of cowhands blazing by as our heros rode into town. I would have loved to develop it further, and get into those rowdy outdoor scenes - but it felt like a good place to cut it and "leave them wanting more..."

My wife and I have a lunch meeting with the producer, so it will be interesting to see where the conversation might lead. Thanks again, everyone.

Great job Houston.Love the transition into the finale,nice epic outdoorsy feel.
    Is it all GPO?
    Good luck with the meeting,They will be lucky to get you.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Is it all GPO?
    Thanks - yup - it's all GPO. Amazing - isn't it?

I also used an impulse from Garritan - piped through Voxengo's Pristine Space, as well as Ozone 3 for some final touches and dither down to 16 bits. It's nice to have such great tools.

Houston,

This is excellent! Your writing is extraordinary and so diverse. Just recently you were swimming with the shales and now you're riding with the cowboys. And you sure know how to bring the best out of GPO.

You mentioned "I could get into instrument choice, production notes, and some description of the cue itself, but I'll save that for later for those that are interested." OK...I'm interested!

the impulse sounds great - was that the Chan impulse or GOS?

Good luck with getting the gig.

All the best,

Gary Garritan

Arrow Re: Heading West - a GPO-based western spec cue

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    You mentioned "I could get into instrument choice, production notes, and some description of the cue itself, but I'll save that for later for those that are interested." OK...I'm interested!
    Hey Gary - thanks for the kudos.

Here's the instrument list:

WOODWINDS:
    Picolo NV Solo
    Flute Solo NV
    English Horn 2 Solo
    Bb Clarinet Solo
    Bass Clarinet Solo
    Bassoon 1 Solo
    Contrabassoon Solo

BRASS:
    French Horn Solo Mute
    FHorn Overlay F
    FHorn Overlay FF
    Tpt Solo Straight Mute
    Tpt Overlay AG
    Tpt Overlay
    Tenor Tbone Solo
    Tenor Tbone Solo Mute
    Brass Trombone 2 Solo
    Tbone Overlay
    Tuba Overlay

PERCUSSION:
    Timpani
    Basic Orch Perc Combo
    Bass Drum
    Glockenspiel
    Perc Toys
    Snares
    Tubular Bells
    Xylophone
    Chromatic Harp 1

STRINGS:
    Vlns 1 Short Bows AG
    Vlns 1 Sus+Short
    Vlns 1 KS Combo
    Vlns 2 Sus+Short
    Vlns 2 KS Combo
    Violas Sus+Short
    Violas Short Bows AG
    Violas KS Combo
    Cellos Sus+Short
    Cellos Short Bows AG
    Cellos KS Combo
    Basses Short Bows AG
    Basses Lush
    Basses KS Combo

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    the impulse sounds great - was that the Chan impulse or GOS?
    It was your beautiful Chan Centre stereo impulse, and to be honest - I tracked everything dry and then added it later, to taste. It's a little bit counter-intuitive, but the driving factor was CPU resources. Secondarily, I wanted to try it as an experiment to see how the coloration held up with a dry mix getting piped into a single instance as an insert on the stereo bus. I'm still debating with myself whether stereo placement and wet-dry mix on the individual track/send level is important for this type of production.

Thanks again to everyone (especially Gary) for their kind words. I look forward to putting more materials online in the coming weeks, and will provide an update when/if there's a decision on the gig for scoring the film.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast