• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: Got my Tranzport today

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Got my Tranzport today

    Took about an hour to install, under OSX 10.8 on the running DP 4.5, with the latest drivers, it crashes every time I try to quit the Mac. Doesn't stop it from shutting down, but it's a pain - I could turbn of the console display, but it would still crash (it may be time for me to update to 10.3, not that 10.4 has been released, but I keep waiting for the Spectrasonics vs/ MOTU issues to get fixed...)

    OTOH, it works great. Record, play back, change tracks, toggle record mode, solo, mute, etc. work flawlessly. The range is a bit weak, but greater than they spec by a fair amount - with the doors open, I can connect while recording my piano, which is about double the published range.

    My only other minor complaint is it has been a bit of a bear to get it to connect and link up. I have to try several times, requesting from the transceiver (push the button) and the Tranzport unit (push Shift-Battery) at the same time to get them to see each other and link up with DP. But if that is a problem with many folks, Frontier will deal with it (I hope.)
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

  2. #2

    Re: Got my Tranzport today

    I've also ordered my Tranzport and am expecting it soon. I hope I have more luck in Win XP.

  3. #3

    Question Re: Got my Tranzport today

    Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    The range is a bit weak, but greater than they spec by a fair amount - with the doors open, I can connect while recording my piano, which is about double the published range.

    My only other minor complaint is it has been a bit of a bear to get it to connect and link up.
    Can you explain this a bit more clearly? You seem to have contradicted yourself three times in two sentences.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

  4. #4

    Re: Got my Tranzport today

    Hi

    Just another opinion..

    Had mine a couple of weeks, loaded up in two minutes (mac), linked
    first time, great range.... this things make using a big studio space
    SO much easier!!

    Problems? none.

    It's the simple things that make a difference!

    Ty

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: Got my Tranzport today

    My favorite remote studio transport? Yesteryear's laptop, wireless ethernet, XP remote desktop.

    Golden. Cheap. Full-featured. And you can watch porn on it while working.

  6. #6

    Re: Got my Tranzport today

    Sorry, Bruce - I can't reach the keyboard then!

    You seem to have contradicted yourself three times in two sentences.
    The published range is about 30 feet, which I consider weak, as many project studios (mine and others I have worked in over the years) have their piano in a separate room, sometimes several rooms away - typically the living room, which may be in another part of the house. My initial test shoed that I losk the radio linkage about two feet past my studio doors when all three were close. After experimenting with repositioning the Bridge, as they call the transceiver, I found a location that let me keep one regular interior door closed and still have a solid connection to the oiano over 60 feet away, double the range.

    I have found another issue, though - on my system EVERY TIME I restart or shut down the computer, the Tranzport Menu app crashes. I notified their tech support by email, and they have responded with some questions, and one good piece of info - to link the Tranzport with the base unit (Bridge), you should manually active the seach on BOTH units (press Shift-Battery on the Tranzport, and then immediately press the button on the Bridge. Did not see this in the manual but it is the expected method of forcing the connection.)
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Burbank, CA. US of Mexico
    Posts
    651

    Re: Got my Tranzport today

    I've thought about picking one of these up for the purpose of recording myself in the iso booth. I'm worried though that the range won't be strong enough to reach through the heavily insulated walls that separate the iso room from the computers. There's only one wall, but it's 6 sheets of drywall thick. Will the signal pass through this?
    -Jamey

  8. #8

    Re: Got my Tranzport today

    Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    The published range is about 30 feet, which I consider weak, as many project studios (mine and others I have worked in over the years) have their piano in a separate room, sometimes several rooms away - typically the living room, which may be in another part of the house. My initial test shoed that I losk the radio linkage about two feet past my studio doors when all three were close. After experimenting with repositioning the Bridge, as they call the transceiver, I found a location that let me keep one regular interior door closed and still have a solid connection to the oiano over 60 feet away, double the range.
    The published range sounds pretty weak to me too, but they probably did that to ensure there wouldn't be any complaints from users. If they'd guarantee 60 ft. some users possibly wouldn't be able to make that depending on the construction of the building etc.

    My live room is at least 45 feet away from the control room, excluding the distance to the nearest USB port...I could get a long USB cable of course...

  9. #9

    Re: Got my Tranzport today

    True enough, Herman. Not surprisingly, that is apparently what they have done. I would expect as much, Frontier is a solid company with good products (I have the Apache and love it...)

    Also I have received a second emailfrom their tech guy. Nothing new, but keeping me posted, another sign of a quality outfit.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

  10. #10

    Re: Got my Tranzport today

    Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    True enough, Herman. Not surprisingly, that is apparently what they have done. I would expect as much, Frontier is a solid company with good products (I have the Apache and love it...)
    Yeah - I like their products. I have the Tascam FW1884 interface, which was partly manufactured by Frontier.

    It's good they're keeping you posted. Their good friends Tascam could learn from that

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •