• Register
  • Help

Topic: Schillinger

Share/Bookmark

Schillinger

Well, a while back, I asked for and received some comments on the Schillinger System. Here is my present outlook.

I have found a very good use for Volume I of the 2 volume set. It is the best pain reliever I have tried yet. It induces sleep almost intantaneously, and the pain is forgotten for a while. None of the side effects of pain medication. No hives, asthma effects, nausea. Just sleep! I had considered selling my set, but perhaps I should keep it as a 2 volume analgesic! Perhaps Volume II should be reserved for unusually sever flare-ups?

Richard

Re: Schillinger

If you have a late edition in good condition, I'd consider buying both volumes from you. I have a very musty set I bought back in college, along with his memoirs published by his wife, and Kaleidephone - the chord structure book that is the basis of Slonimsky's "Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Passages". Good stuff, but not for everyone.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    If you have a late edition in good condition, I'd consider buying both volumes from you. I have a very musty set I bought back in college, along with his memoirs published by his wife, and Kaleidephone - the chord structure book that is the basis of Slonimsky's "Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Passages". Good stuff, but not for everyone.
    My edition is 1946. I will follow up with email, to avoid violating rules concerning sellling. I am not sure if I want to or not, but email follows.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, a while back, I asked for and received some comments on the Schillinger System. Here is my present outlook.

I have found a very good use for Volume I of the 2 volume set. It is the best pain reliever I have tried yet. It induces sleep almost intantaneously,

Richard

That's very funny... I still have my copies of Schillinger and somewhere materials from Richard Benda, a Schillinger alumni who taught Schillinger in the 60s and 70s...

I would be interested even in the musty old set because I have none.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Thumbs up Re: Schillinger

Yeah - 1946 was the latest edition, which I think had an intro by Bernard Shaw. If you're looking for a set, Richard's might be a good bet if you have none. My set is in *close* to the same condition he described (except mine needs airing out in the arid So Cal climate - being in the humidity of the Piedmont of NC did no good for it.) If I was to look to pay top dollar for another Shillinger work, it would "The Mathematical Basis of the Arts".
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum