• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New problems with 3.1

Share/Bookmark

New problems with 3.1

Noticed note drop outs, sample cut offs, weirdness with GS 3.1 that weren't occuring in 3.04. Same templates that were fine before. Do I need to load templates from scratch in new version, and not use those made in prev. version?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Unhappy Re: New problems with 3.1

Anybody?

Bump

Re: New problems with 3.1

It doesn't hurt to try to rebuild a template. But don't waste your time loading the entire template, load only the instruments you need. You could also do a save as...

Also, have you converted your .gigs to Giga 3? That might help too.

Thanks.

What does the conversion of .gigs to 3.0 actually do? They are all still vers. 2.0, as they were when things were working fine in 3.0.4.

JZ

It just updates the .gig format to one that is native to giga 3. This new format enables faster loads and greater compatability with the new version. It doesn't actually rewrite anything or erase anything, it just, err, updates them. I updated my entire library and I haven't had any problems at all.

It may not solve your problem, I don't know. But it certainly won't hurt anything!!!

Quote Originally Posted by inteleky
    It just updates the .gig format to one that is native to giga 3. This new format enables faster loads and greater compatability with the new version. It doesn't actually rewrite anything or erase anything, it just, err, updates them. I updated my entire library and I haven't had any problems at all.

It may not solve your problem, I don't know. But it certainly won't hurt anything!!!
    Um. It does rewrite the files. Make a backup copy, then update. If the power fails in the middle of the conversion, you won't have corrupted your gig.

-JF

Oh. OOPS

I am having bad problems with v3.1
    I accidently tried loading a gig when the tail of a ride cymbal was still playing. It then had an ugly crash. Only a powerdown would solve!
    When loading GS again it had lost the ENTIRE quicksound database and proceeded to scan my drives. This all happened while a client was there so I had to stop scanning (would have taken 45min) and load in sounds manually!! After that it would just freeze totally (powerdown to fix) if I changed the gui page whilst a note was still playing. It crashed several times, still doesn't work properly. Very annoyed. Might have to go back to 3.04.
    Anyone else had this? I didnt get this with 3.04

WinXP pro SP2 (usual tweaks)
    MSI Hetis 865GV, P43.06, 1GB ram
    Soundscape Mixtreme v4.2.1
    MOL CP

That does sound nasty. What other programs were you running?

Sounds like you should do a clean install o Giga. While this solution beats around the bush, it's easier than screaming 'Why!!!" while you waste many hours trying to fix a wierd problem.

For future reference, you really should look into Norton Ghost. This program has saved my life so many times I can't even begin to tell you. Any time I have even the smallest inkling of a problem, I use ghost and it saves the day instantly. I'm not joking. Using it is faster than re-installing things, and it's quick enough to do with a client in the room. You know, you can always lie and make up some kind of complicated sounding technical excuse while ghost takes 5 minutes to do its thing.

I don't have identical problems but do have freezes that I have to restart for. See my thread about 3.1 and GSIF 2.0. I upgraded my drivers from GS 1 to 2 shortly after upgrading from 3.04 to 3.1 so I'm not sure which is causing me issues. I was going to roll back the driver, but it's looking like a reinstall of GS might be the solution. Argh!

Go Back to forum