• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help with playback - newbie!

Share/Bookmark

Smile Help with playback - newbie!

Hi, i'm a newbie to GPO, and i was hoping someone might be able to help me with a little problem i'm having, (probably simple) so i apologise in advance.

I've just started using GPO with Sibelius 3, and i'm trying to get playback a solo piano piece, everything is fine until it gets to a fast section, where the note timing on the playback starts to stutter almost, i can't seem to get it to play back as its written.

If i playback just through sibelius without GPO its fine.

Also, when it plays back certain pieces, GPO resets the volume on the player to a level, usually quite high, causing it to get distorted in loud passages. how can i change this.

go easy on me, i'm only learning!
    thanks in advance

Re: Help with playback - newbie!

i forgot to mention,

i'm using WinXp 2500+mhz
    1gb ram

I don't know about the stuttering, although it sounds like your processor can't keep up. Are you using the dry samples? Don't use the wet samples, since they are very processor hungry.

Now the distortion. In the player options, make sure Use std. CC#7 / CC#10 volume and pan is unchecked (dark green). GPO controlls volume (and timbre) by means of CC#1 (modulation).

You'll find that the piano responds to Velocity messages - which means in Sibelius, you'll have to make adjustments in the Playback Window. The notes that are too loud can be selected, and a lower velocity can be assigned (the User Guide is a good place to start ). Also check that you don't have a lot of notes overlapping -maybe Sibelius/GPO are choking on too much data? Did you play the score into Flex-time, or did you just notate it. My guess is that there is a lot of extra MIDI data that is causing your problem, because it seems as though your system should be able to handle the file (I'm on a Mac, so I can't say for certain.). You could try saving it as a MIDI file, import it in Overture, and see if the problem persists; that way you can narrow down where the problem lies.

Wish I could be more help.

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by kulyan
    Hi, i'm a newbie to GPO, and i was hoping someone might be able to help me with a little problem i'm having, (probably simple) so i apologise in advance.

I've just started using GPO with Sibelius 3, and i'm trying to get playback a solo piano piece, everything is fine until it gets to a fast section, where the note timing on the playback starts to stutter almost, i can't seem to get it to play back as its written.

If i playback just through sibelius without GPO its fine.

Also, when it plays back certain pieces, GPO resets the volume on the player to a level, usually quite high, causing it to get distorted in loud passages. how can i change this.

go easy on me, i'm only learning!
    thanks in advance
    More considerations: Check sample rate, make sure it is the best for your card. Check latency; 50 ms is a good start. Don't load more instances of the player than you really need. Check Ambience reverb, see what it is doing to the playback. In Sibelius, deselect all the devices you are not using.

These are some of the common items that can contribute. It sounds to me like you are overloading something, and these items should help. You did not mention what sound card. If the sound card supports it, be sure to select ASIO. Be sure that you have the latest drivers for your sound card. Check the site for the sound card, even if you just bought the card yesterday!

Other possibilities, of course. But this is my idea of a good starting place.

Richard

Kulyan, what kind of cpu do you have? Mine's a 2.4gig Celeron, which does not have the power of a real P4, so I need a processor upgrade and you may as well if that's your chip. You can track if your cpu is overloaded: alt-ctrl-del to get the Windows Task Manager, and click the Performance tab. Then play your piece. If CPU Usage hits 100%, which it probably is doing, then either you are underpowered or there is a bottleneck somewhere in your system.

I had an awful time with a big orchestral piece in short note values (also using Sibelius with GPO) till a wizard on this forum suggested I switch the Audio Driver in Studio from asio4all to MME (I'm using a SoundBlaster). That made it just manageable; it would be fine except for my borderline processor. Your playback without GPO is likely through your soundcard, which does not tax the CPU.

Smile Re: Help with playback - newbie!

thanks! so many helpful people.

i'll try your suggestions and let you know what happens.

Go Back to forum