• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help getting started

Share/Bookmark

Need help getting started

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I am trying to finish getting the last of my items I'll need for a home recording studio. I have my samples, I have my sounds Gigastudio samples, GPO, several EWQL Kompact players, controller, etc... Now I need suggestions as to what do I need for sequencing or recording my music. It will be on PC. I have no experience with anything out there I have only sequenced on my keyboard in the past with built on 3.5 floppy drive and the 16 channel track it had built on but I'm trying to modernize my set up. Any help would be much appriciated. Also can anyone let me know if they have had good results importing data from Giga studio over to kontact? I have had bad luck with GS and drivers I'm not sure if I want to upgrade or get kontact instead. Thanks again!

Seth
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Re: Need help getting started

What sort of music do you write?

Hi Bill, my music is orchestrated, some of it is just piano, and I also have made some techno type songs in the past. I usually have 4-15 tracks at any given time that I layer on top of each other. Not quite into the high double digets that people like Zimmer or Horner might have. I have 2 computers to use but was having issues with one and have toned everything down to the one system curently. Thanks again

Seth
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

I am trying to finish getting the last of my items I'll need for a home recording studio. I have my samples, I have my sounds Gigastudio samples, GPO, several EWQL Kompact players, controller, etc... Now I need suggestions as to what do I need for sequencing or recording my music.
    I don’t know if it’s for a professional use, but in a productive environment the ideal way to work for orchestral purpose is in real-time, without audio track (only midi tracks) , and real-time effects.

Then you can work ‘note by note’ anywhere, any time in your score. And don’t lose a precious time for bouncing...

But it needs a lot of resources. (And appropriate softs for real-time effects.)

If you already have your audio hardware, your libraries and soft samplers, then the only thing you need is several networked PCs.

There is a new deal since last months about our favorite samplers (Giga and Kontakt) : unlimited polyphony.

It changes all the approach.

That’s why I think we can do now with 3 good PCs what we had to do with 5 or 6 of them in the past... (for real-time working).

So if you already have a PC, keep it for sequencing and buy 2 others for dedicated samplers PCs. You could build a ‘reasonable’ symphonic score in real-time with this configuration.

The other point for a beginner is : security.

This is, in my opinion, the weakest point of a ‘pure DAW’ approach, and the first worry of a DAW composer, I guess, and needs a lot of precautions and strategies of all sorts to avoid this issue...

Go Back to forum