• Register
  • Help

Topic: How can I play the lower-register instruments?

Share/Bookmark

How can I play the lower-register instruments?

I have a 61 key keyboard (Ensoniq VFX-SD from the 80's) that I'm using for a controller. I can't quite figure out how to play instruments such as the bass, since my keyboard only goes so low.

Thanks!
    -DC Ross

Re: How can I play the lower-register instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by DC Ross
    I have a 61 key keyboard (Ensoniq VFX-SD from the 80's) that I'm using for a controller. I can't quite figure out how to play instruments such as the bass, since my keyboard only goes so low.

Thanks!
    -DC Ross
    Isn't there a transposition switch, button or knob on your keyboard? I'm not familiar with the Ensoniq but look for a button that transposes the keyboard down and up. Usually increments in + or -.
    Hope this helps.
    Styxx

The octave switch might be buried in the one of the menus.

Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by DC Ross

Thanks!
    -DC Ross
    If you're using a sequencer there'll be a transpose 'effect' which will allow you to reach the lower (and higher) registers.
    In Sonar it's a midi effect which you insert into the track you're working on and then there are presets you can choose - octave down/up, 2 octaves down or up etc.
    Hope that helps
    Regards
    John

Thanks for the replys, guys! Of course, there is a "Transpose" button sitting there, mocking me, staring at me the whole time. I had never used or needed it before, so I just glossed over it. It is a bit strange that it is tied to the current program (sound), but it did work.

Thanks again!

Very happy to see we can help. I also never used mine until I started using PC based DAW's and midi. Before, I used an 88-note keyboard and never had the need.
    Cool, glad we can help.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum