• Register
  • Help

Topic: I really need your help!

Share/Bookmark

I really need your help!

I know you all have a wealth of knowledge out there and I need some of it.

1. Does Kontakt 2 actually exploit dual core processors, getting somewhere near twice the CPU performance as a single core processor? Have any of you used the AMD X2 processors with Kontakt 2?

2. Would a system that will run Sonar 4 PE and Kontakt 2 exploit having more than 2Gb of memory? How about Kontakt 2 running alone?

3. I need a concise explanation of how I can access lots of instruments in a live gig setting with only 1 or 2 midi outs from my keyboards. I keep hearing people mention having 128 instruments loaded and then referencing them through program changes. Can someone give me details of how expactly this would work. This is one of the key issues that will tell me whether a software sampler will work for me live. I am more than willing to build an awesome high end system but I only want 1 PC and it has to principally serve my live gigging needs. athough it will also be used at home with Sonar 4 to produce my sequences and render them to audio for loading on my Triton Studio. My band does not use set lists so loading during breaks is not an option.

Thanks everyone. Please send me some detailed responses. I am very excited about moving forware with this effort but I don't want to make a costly mistake. I am trying both to make a final decision on Giga vs Kontakt and also to make a final decision on what kind of workstation PC to build.

Rob

Re: I really need your help!

1. Does Kontakt 2 actually exploit dual core processors, getting somewhere near twice the CPU performance as a single core processor? Have any of you used the AMD X2 processors with Kontakt 2?

Dont have and X2 chip yet but i does suport DP, freind with Dual Xeons claim a performance increase with there setups.... niether K2 or GS3 take up much CPU on there own i find..its only when you add convolution or Gigapulse that the CPU is a factor...

2. Would a system that will run Sonar 4 PE and Kontakt 2 exploit having more than 2Gb of memory? How about Kontakt 2 running alone?

You could obviously load more samples in K2 standalone since , Sonar would take up some RAM resources.. but 2 GB should be fine for now.
    Also another advantage in K2 is it RAMpurge feature..Basically it will only use the RAM in the current Samples tht u are using.. therfore you can load ALOT more Inst. that way since nothing is waisted...

3. I need a concise explanation of how I can access lots of instruments in a live gig setting with only 1 or 2 midi outs from my keyboards. I keep hearing people mention having 128 instruments loaded and then referencing them through program changes. Can someone give me details of how expactly this would work. This is one of the key issues that will tell me whether a software sampler will work for me live. I am more than willing to build an awesome high end system but I only want 1 PC and it has to principally serve my live gigging needs. athough it will also be used at home with Sonar 4 to produce my sequences and render them to audio for loading on my Triton Studio. My band does not use set lists so loading during breaks is not an option.

Simple ..you just load your 128 inst. up in K2 and switch between them through midi program changes. You can do this through your Triton. GS3 works excactly the same way only you have 8 Ports.. But , i guarantee you`ll run out of RAM before then anyways.. 128 inst. can be alot..The program change bug was jst fixed the latest K2 update..Kontakt 2.02

Thanks everyone. Please send me some detailed responses. I am very excited about moving forware with this effort but I don't want to make a costly mistake. I am trying both to make a final decision on Giga vs Kontakt and also to make a final decision on what kind of workstation PC to build.

Good luck.. Both GS3 and K2 are really good now.. only i find K2 alot more versaitle since it can run along side everything with no fuss. Alot of GS users dont have both and only speculate on what K2 can do ,or dismiss it because they dont like the GUI or to justify there investment or whatever.. but i suggest u try both 1st and take into consideration that fact that GS is designed to run on its own before making our decision.... Best, Rich

Rich, thanks.

So the Triton would be able to access all those programs using only one midi channel from the Triton? Would that be just from accessing programs 0 -127?

How about with multiple keyboards accessing instruments at the same time? How would that work? Or patches with lots of keysplits, maybe even on both keyboards, accessing instruments at one time?

Sorry, I am sure that to those of you who use these things all the time, I must seem to be asking the same question over and over. I don't mean to but I need to really get down to the nitty gritty with this live instrument access stuff so I'm really certain of how this is going to work.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg96
    Rich, thanks.

So the Triton would be able to access all those programs using only one midi channel from the Triton? Would that be just from accessing programs 0 -127?

How about with multiple keyboards accessing instruments at the same time? How would that work? Or patches with lots of keysplits, maybe even on both keyboards, accessing instruments at one time?

Sorry, I am sure that to those of you who use these things all the time, I must seem to be asking the same question over and over. I don't mean to but I need to really get down to the nitty gritty with this live instrument access stuff so I'm really certain of how this is going to work.

Rob
    rob. yes it works just like that .you just need to send midi program changes to K2 or GS3. It takes 2 min. to set up. They both work about the same way. Actually, in your case since you still might want to access the programs in your TRiton .. i would buy a dedicated little controler for K2 or GS3 , like Korg Microcontroller 64 or any of them theres a million of them now.. and that way you`d have seperate control over Midi program changes , CC# knobs and sliders and Keyswitching controls..there cheap now too. soo.. its not really a big deal.

Go Back to forum