• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Importance of Silence and Space for Thinking

Share/Bookmark

Question The Importance of Silence and Space for Thinking

How many of you find it important to be in a silence environment while working and why?
    With all the intrusive devices such as cell phewns, T.V., and more ... how do you cope with such interruptions?
    Styxx

Smile Re: The Importance of Silence and Space for Thinking

Hey Styxx. it is the same for me.
    When I was to the college, studying was very difficult when my brothers were at home.
    One of my brothers is a drummer another is a guitarist and another too is a pianist, and when they were playing their instruments it was seeming to be to the hell!!!
    It is really important to have some silent momemìnts during the day in particular when you have to concentrate yourself.
    It is not a case that I prefer to write music during the night when all is sleeping...
    Best Styxx!!!!

Roberto

Re: The Importance of Silence and Space for Thinking

Cool! Thanks for sharing Ern!

I too believe that you really need at least a LITTLE quiet to sort things out and get inspiration. Mozart used to compose while playing billiards and having dinner conversations - and there are those of us who thrive on hustle and bustle, but eventually that peace and quiet are sanity savers and a way to really get in touch with ourselves as artists and as human beings.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Oh! I don't think I answered the question!!

I tend to be a night owl anyway and my favorite time for writing and playing is between 10pm till 3-4 am. no phones, not a lot of car traffic, no sirens, only a crying baby now .

If I try to do it any other time - it is never the same quality.

UNLESS - I am under a BIG TIME deadline. Under such a condition, I can work really well no matter what the environment is like around me. FORCED concentration for SHORT periods is great.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    About 10 years ago, I became completely fed up with the L.A. music business, and L.A. itself. With the blessing of my awesome wife, we rented a cabin in the mountains 60 miles north of L.A. I moved my studio up there, with the idea of doing NOTHING except experiencing "silence and space."

We had no phone, T.V., barely any radio reception. It was a totally Zen experience. I was alone during the week, and my wife came up on the weekends. During the first few weeks, I didn't listen to any music. My companions were books of impressionistic art.

Eventually, I began hearing music in my head again. I slowly began recording this music, influenced by the trees and animals that I saw outside the cabin. These recordings led to the composition of a concept album about the death and rebirth of the muse, or the soul. It was possibly the last pop/rock solo album I will ever record, but it was very important in my development as an artist.

Ern
    I don't know what you're moaning about. Everyone lives like that in Europe. Perhaps you ought to come over here?

Frances

I'm not moaning! It was great!

Ern
    I urge you not to take me too seriously!

Frank

Ah, that dry British sense of humor! I've been jousting with PaulR for quite awhile and should be used to it by now.

Did you know that Brian2112 comes from Scottish royalty!? Where is Brian, BTW?

Ern
    Polishing his sword I believe..........
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    I don't know what you're moaning about. Everyone lives like that in Europe. Perhaps you ought to come over here?

Frances
    HUH?

Actually, I can ignore most distractions, but when the focus is on me, demanding response of some sort, it really destroys my work. Currently, my best time is late at night, till two or three A.M. Great time for piano practice.

But I live where there is very little traffic noise most of the time -- 2 cars an hour is heavy traffic. Blue jays get a bit squawky, as do some very large crows, and the flapping of the buzzard wings can be quite impressive-- makes me keep moving if I am outdoors! The Redwood trees are not very noisy.

Richard

Personally, I cannot focus on anything, and I mean ANYTHING with distractions. Not schoolwork, composing, cooking even! I have a very one tracked mind. (sometimes it seems like only half a track ) I write usually at night, when nobody's home (kinda rare, but it sometimes happens), or when I just feel like it.

I'm still working on that piece from the very FIRST orchestration duel. It's coming along quite nicely, I'm only on measure 27, though. Just chugging along.

My studio is pretty quiet. There's four layers of sheetrock on all the walls and even a faraday cage around the whole thing. It's pretty quiet, but so much sound leaks through the door, which is just a regular door. It really defeats the purpose of the whole four layers of sheetrock.

Did I answer your question? I kinda just jotted down random thoughts about the topic.

-Chris

Smile Re: The Importance of Silence and Space for Thinking

Did you know that Brian2112 comes from Scottish royalty!? Where is Brian, BTW?
    Ern
    Ah, yes ... Mr. Brian2112. Good question and maybe some day we shall all get an answer. But in the mean time another morning question has stirred;

Who was the first one who thought that the white thing that came from a hen's butt looked edible?
    Styxx

Go Back to forum