• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Steinway Lite Pedal Polyphony Problems

Share/Bookmark

Steinway Lite Pedal Polyphony Problems

I've been researching the threads and trying the various solutions to no avail. I'm using the Steinway Lite that comes with Kontakt 2. Convolution and Harmonics work well with the pedal down until the polyphony climbs up, then on pedal up output stalls. It seems that 60 polyphoney and pedal up triggers it. I've turned on self mask but that doesn't seem to effectively address reiterations of notes while pedals down. I have ordered the 'Magic' bundle and am looking foward to it. Can anyone help me.

I've tried the Steinway Convolution New.NKI - No difference. The overload is repeatible using just the Steinway Lite.nki in sampler mode also.

Nforce 2 MSI
    1 gig corsair Twinex
    Athlon XP 3000 200/400 FSB

Re: Steinway Lite Pedal Polyphony Problems

Quote Originally Posted by emenelton
    Steinway Convolution New.NKI
    This comes with the 2.0.2 update? I can't seem to find it.

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

The New Convolution.NKI is availible from Michael Post. He posted a link on one of the threads here, I'm sorry I don't have that link right now but can come up with it through a little digging.
    The New Convolution.NKI had changes which lowered cpu needs of the original Convolution.NKI. Alot of people were complaining about certain issues bogging down their computers.
    My problem is with the pedal down, my polyphony builds up to a certain high number. When the pedal is lifted, the computer then has to 'write' the note off 'waves' for the 60 or so notes that the polyphoney built up to.

Anyone please?

Quote Originally Posted by emenelton
    The New Convolution.NKI is availible from Michael Post. He posted a link on one of the threads here, I'm sorry I don't have that link right now but can come up with it through a little digging.
    Thanks for the info. I've searched for the New Convolution.NKI both here and at www.postpiano.com, and can't find it, so if you come across the link, I'd appreciate it.

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

The update is mentioned here

Direct link to the Steinway K2 Library piano update

NOTES
    +++++
    Several features are added and changes were made to ensure better performance on all systems:
    - Self-Mask script is enabled to avoid high polyphony when repeated notes and chords are played.
    - A filter has been removed that was previously enabled to cut off some high's, but that also used too much CPU.
    - The convolution effect has been re-designed to work differently; now a send is used that goes active only when the sustain pedal is down. This avoids the effect that all data goes over the convolution engine all the time. You only use the CPU for convolution computing when you need it, CONSERVING cpu cycles.
    - The resonance IR time has been reduced to .60, making the whole convolution process much lighter CPU-wise.
    - The dynamic response is improved by using a new system to set the lowest velocity ranges.
    - The "muddy" attack on the softest notes are now gone, this was a result from the previous convolution programming.
    - The flex envelope that was enabled to emulate more sustain is removed, resulting in a more natural overall attack, sustain and release behavior and making the piano less CPU intensive.
    - The original version on the installation DVD was created with Kontakt 1.9x not K2. Some small issues with incompatible parameters have been resolved.
    - There are now 2 new nki's. This way you can add the piano to an existing multi without losing all other instrument settings as with the previous multi.
    - The new nki's are: Steinway D New Convolution. (this one has all the new convolution programming and a self-mask script) and Steinway D SympRes by Olivier Frappier. (This one uses no convolution but has the full harmonics generated by the Sympathetic Resonance script that Olivier Frappier wrote).
    - Additionally you can download another great script from http://music.mezo.com/ that was written by Kronel Mezo, that has similar and even more features for Sympathetic Resonance that can completely replace the resonance from sustain pedal down samples and convolution emulation!

The Steinway D is so small (500 MB) you can also load it as SAMPLE instead of DFD instrument, making it almost unlimited in polyphony!

I've been researching the threads and trying the various solutions to no avail. I'm using the Steinway Lite that comes with Kontakt 2. Convolution and Harmonics work well with the pedal down until the polyphony climbs up, then on pedal up output stalls. It seems that 60 polyphoney and pedal up triggers it. I've turned on self mask but that doesn't seem to effectively address reiterations of notes while pedals down. I have ordered the 'Magic' bundle and am looking foward to it. Can anyone help me.

I've tried the Steinway Convolution New.NKI - No difference. The overload is repeatible using just the Steinway Lite.nki in sampler mode also.
    So, did you install the latest Kontakt 2 update (released last week)?

You can also try what happens if you disable the convolution engine completely by removing the effect from the insert rack.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

So, did you install the latest Kontakt 2 update (released last week)?

Yes.

I can have the original or the new convolution active with harmonics and initially have it work. The problem will occur even with only the Steinway D Lite.NKI
    loaded.
    One question; of the 3 NKI's that come with Kontakt 2, whick ones do you load and in what order?
    I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use the Steinway D Lite.NKI, the Convolution.NKI and the Harmonics.NKI simultaneously or if the Steinway D Lite.NKI should not be loaded when using the Convolution.NKI.
    I look forward to your response.
    Thank-you

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Post

The update is mentioned here
    Thanks, Michiel. What system requirements would you recommend for running the pianos with scripting? And I guess for that matter, what settings.

Regards,

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

I was wondering if anyone has a solution to polypony building up when the sustained pedal is press?

I made an effort to handle polyphony in harmonics with my PSR script ( music.mezo.com ) , it is really challenging becuase in seconds the polyphony can jump up to hundreds of voices. Even worse, when you have incremental sustain data and the pianist does not fully release the pedal , just almost release the pedal and continues then I got up to 700 notes polyohony at one time.
    PSR pro is being extensively tested with these kind of MIDI files.

regards
    Kornel
    music.mezo.com

Go Back to forum