• Register
  • Help

Topic: Free EthernetMIDI project testers wanted

Share/Bookmark

Free EthernetMIDI project testers wanted

Hi guys,
    now it's time to uncover the cards

I called my free MIDI over Ethernet tool with the trivial name "EthernetMIDI"

I finished preliminary version of the application today (does not forward sysex data, but this will be added soon).

See a screenshot here:

http://www.linuxsampler.org/ethernetmidi/screenshot.png

For now the application provided only one bidirectional MIDI virtual cable. But you can fire up multiple instances to have multiple virtual MIDI cables.

In the screen you see the MIDI IN ports you can forward to a certain machine (IP address) and the MIDI OUT ports where
    data coming from network is sent to.
    The green LED indicates MIDI activity on the port.
    Below you see a status window which outputs status information (eg midi port cannot be opened etc).
    Start / Stop enables/disables MIDI over network communication.

If you have your own wishes/ideas about how to improve the GUI please speak out

Of course I will add multiple virtual MIDI cables in the final application. It's just a matter of having multiple windows/tabs in the same app instead of running multiple instances of it.

Crossplatform will come too (OS X and Linux).

But before doing further development I will need some testers that can give me feedback the application works well (timing, correctnes) in various setups.

For now I'm interested in having configurations where you send MIDI from your windows sequencer machine to one or multiple dedicated Gigastudio / Kontakt machines.

If you are interested in helping out please send me a PM with your email address (I prefer email communication since it's more efficient than continuously browsing a forum) and description of your audio setup.

For Marcussen and FV partecipation is MANDATORY since they are responsible for starting this mess

Anyway if we work toghether we can create a nice midi over ethernet tool which is available to everyone for free making it a defacto standard.

I have many ideas in mind like, supporting multiple protocols to make it more reliable in case of packet losses, add flexibility, add an integrated network diagnostic/benchmarking tool etc.

You will soon see the advantages of community based open source development since everyone can contribute to the project with their own skills leading to incremental improvements till everyone is satisfied

Didier : I don't know about MOL but my app does not provide virtual MIDI ports by itself. You can use any virtual MIDI port app out here like, Maple, MidiYoke etc.
    Since those virtual midi ports already work well, why go through the burden to reinvent the wheel yet another time ?

So basically EthernetMIDI should work on more or less any windows version (or at least Win2k/XP) as long as your favorite virtual midi port driver (Maple, MIDIYoke etc) work on your operating system.

cheers,
    Benno
    http://www.linuxsampler.org

Re: Free EthernetMIDI project testers wanted

Benno,

Thank you for considering my situation and taking the time to answer.

Alas, I have an OSX machine/ LAP 7 driving my rig. Great to open source things AND above all taking the time out of your day(s) to make it a reality.

Best,
    Didier

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sbenno
    Didier : I don't know about MOL but my app does not provide virtual MIDI ports by itself. You can use any virtual MIDI port app out here like, Maple, MidiYoke etc.
    Since those virtual midi ports already work well, why go through the burden to reinvent the wheel yet another time ?
    Personally, I think it would be wonderful to see this feature contained--if only to reduce potential anomalies in different setups. But I understand the desire to minimize redundant development.

Benno, I am another with a Mac-centric system, though everything else is PC. When the OSX version is ready, I'd love to try it. (DP with a bunch of VSTs and VSTi's.)
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Hi Benno,

Quote Originally Posted by sbenno
    For Marcussen and FV partecipation is MANDATORY since they are responsible for starting this mess
    I'd love to help. Unfortunately, I've got 2 machines and one is an OSX machine.

Not trying to weasel out of it or anything. When crossplatform comes, I will be happy to help you with testing.

FV

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Personally, I think it would be wonderful to see this feature contained--if only to reduce potential anomalies in different setups. But I understand the desire to minimize redundant development.
    You are right, it seems example MidiYoke seems to make troubles with GS3.
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...light=midiyoke

Apparently Maple works well on GS3 (but provides only 4 virtual ports). But gugliel proposes to use midi yoke on the sequencer machine where no GS is running and Maple on the GS boxes.

Of course it would be nice if my utils included the MIDI loopback driver but that's not my priority for now.
    (It should not be hard to write a MIDI loopback driver since it does only forwarding of data).
    Perhaps Jeff H. will update Maple to provide more ports ?

cheers,
    Benno

Go Back to forum