• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First GPO work

Share/Bookmark

First GPO work

This is my first GPO work - I have composed other pieces, but this is the first that was GPO from the ground up. It is a small concertino for solo violin, three horns, and strings. There are audio issues, I know - aside from getting the GPO where I want it, there seem to be little gremlins that sneak in ( I call gremlins the things I don't know how to control... )

As this is first post, I may - or may not - get it right. So, I will post the site, where you can click on the word "slow". I will also try to post the direct link. Please no comments on the goofy site - I just tried to get something that would work, and Verizon gives me a little space. Remember, I'm in for the sound, not the visuals!

I'd be happy to hear any comments on the piece. Sorry for the length -
    9:40.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1l1e9/s...files/slow.mp3

Site link:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1l1e9/

Thanks,

R. Pearl

Re: First GPO work

Superb piece! I was thoroughly engrossed with it. Your style has elements of Copeland and Holst and yet it is very original. This was very well rendered and most of all, it was exquisitley written and developed. I believe you may have latency issues...the clicks. Check over at the Geniesoft forum (or here) for help with that.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Superb piece! I was thoroughly engrossed with it. Your style has elements of Copeland and Holst and yet it is very original. This was very well rendered and most of all, it was exquisitley written and developed. I believe you may have latency issues...the clicks. Check over at the Geniesoft forum (or here) for help with that.
    Thanks so much. Yes, one can hear a lot influences - some are conscious, others not.

The latency issues - I'm not sure what the solution is. I have a Mac G5,1.8 Ghz, 2G Ram. Are there settings I should change. It's odd, but I hear the clicks most at the outset, when it is just the horns. And it seems to be only the right channel. At some point I'll figure it out!

I appreciate the feedback. Composing is a new endeavor for me - I am a musician by training and occupation, but my focus until quite recently had been performance and teaching. So, I am a little hesitant about this. Your kind words help!

R. Pearl

Hi Mr. R. Pearl, just wanted to say it's a beautiful piece. I confess I clicked on thinking, "okay, whatever, just a minute or two" and spent much more than that.

Previous comments are correct, you have a great grasp of good, yet DIATONIC, harmonic progression (like, was there even more than one or two accidentals in the first few minutes of music?). That's an AMAZING achievement, from my point of view. Chromaticism can be so cheap. Diatonic, yet non-traditional writing is incredibly difficult, in my opinion. Nice, "elegiac" sense of flow too. Good music!

Steve Main
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Quote Originally Posted by stmain
    Hi Mr. R. Pearl, just wanted to say it's a beautiful piece. I confess I clicked on thinking, "okay, whatever, just a minute or two" and spent much more than that.

Previous comments are correct, you have a great grasp of good, yet DIATONIC, harmonic progression (like, was there even more than one or two accidentals in the first few minutes of music?). That's an AMAZING achievement, from my point of view. Chromaticism can be so cheap. Diatonic, yet non-traditional writing is incredibly difficult, in my opinion. Nice, "elegiac" sense of flow too. Good music!

Steve Main
    Steve,

Thank you! Yes, it is pretty diatonic, although there are more accidentals than one might think; I used them sparingly...
    I think my years of training in counterpoint led me to a more modal way of thinking, as opposed to tonal. Still, chromaticism is a wonderfully expressive aspect of the language - I certainly don't reject it.

Thank you for listening - I'm glad you found it interesting enough to keep going.

R. Pearl

This is great! I love the tension and release that you have throughout.

My only concern (because I'm a horn player) is that your first chair's eyeballs are coming out of his sockets from lingering in the highest register for a lengthy bit. But I'm not that accomplished of a player, so I can only speak from my own playing abilities. I really like your arrangement of the violin soloing on top of the horn quad. Very interesting!

Thank you for submitting this!

Best,
    ~Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll
    This is great! I love the tension and release that you have throughout.

My only concern (because I'm a horn player) is that your first chair's eyeballs are coming out of his sockets from lingering in the highest register for a lengthy bit. But I'm not that accomplished of a player, so I can only speak from my own playing abilities. I really like your arrangement of the violin soloing on top of the horn quad. Very interesting!

Thank you for submitting this!

Best,
    ~Paula
    Sorry for making the horn part(s) too high - I could go down a step, in which case the cellos have to be tweaked; perhaps add a double bass?

Thanks for taking a listen.

R. Pearl

Really nice piece,love the way the solo Vln creeps in.Echoes of Vaughn-Williams,Tippet.But the sound is yours alone.
    I like the closing repeated Vln figure,it is like a benediction.
    Great stuff,I look forwad to more from you.
    regards

Nicely done, R. Pearl.

Shades of Hanson, there's some fine string work in there, and I'd wager you are no stranger to Hindemith's Craft ... intriguing harmonic structures and development.

I was most struck by the manifold discourse of emotive content in this piece, though... mirrored in the often complex threading of themes.

As I've often noted elsewhere, the quiet and contemplative pieces frequently receive little notice.

And again, especially with this fine piece, I hope everyone will give it at least a couple of listens, through. There's much for the mind and heart to consider within it -- and hearing it only once will be a disservice and loss to both listener and composer.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Nicely done, R. Pearl.

Shades of Hanson, there's some fine string work in there, and I'd wager you are no stranger to Hindemith's Craft ... intriguing harmonic structures and development.

David,

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, a quiet piece can be a challenge - especially as an mp3 often heard on not-so-good computer/monitor speakers; but i gambled that people could hear "through" that.

Hanson, Hindemith? Yes, although not overtly. I have another work that seems a sort of Josquin meets Vaughan-Williams ( better than it might first appear!); I'll post it when I clear some space on my web storage. The one composer who I hear in this - my own - piece is Carl Nielsen. It wasn't conscious, but once certain phrases had been written, I could hear him over my shoulder.

Glad you are back - and I trust that health is returning.

R. Pearl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast