• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tascam/Art Vista Collaboration

Share/Bookmark

Tascam/Art Vista Collaboration

This is a follow-on to the Art Vista Virtual Grand thread.

I've been waiting for and wanting this piano for almost two years. Like Bruce R, I'd really like to have it in GS3 format.

Is there any precedent for sampler developers and library developers collaborating?

I'm asking because, for me, the Steinway B is the king of all pianos---it is easily the most versatile. Art Vista's rendition of the B looks to be setting a new standard for sampled pianos, and a Virtual Grand with i-MIDI rules for sympathetic resonance would be like heaven.

DavidH

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Tascam/Art Vista Collaboration

There is no need for that. Hans stated earlier that he is not using any sympathetic resonance scripting, so I cannot imagine that a piano such as this could not be easily mapped to the existing GigaStudio. Hans mentioned that some of the techniques he used would not port directly, so he would have to re-map the instrument for Giga.

I disagree that a separate "rompler" based upon Giga technology would have value to the users of GigaStudio. It would harm their best interest. To detract from efforts to improve GigaStudio overall by spending developer time on specific rompler-implementations would simply mean less innovation, and more duplicity of effort.

The best possible solution for end users is for people who develop sample libraries to release them for SAMPLERS. This allows the maximum development time to be devoted to the sampler itself, thereby pushing the technology forward with the most efficiency.

This has been my argument against romplers all along. They simply divide attention to innovation, and lock it off into developer-only tools. This does not push forward the overall innovation.

Romplers, unless a person just uses a very few sampler tracks in a composition, are difficult to manage. They crowd the screen with competing GUIs which must be constantly rearranged and managed. They compete for resources.

A sampler, especially a multiport/multichannel sampler like GigaStudio, puts all of the control and layout of an entire production onto one monolithic surface. It is infinitely more efficient to work this way in a busy, nonstop production environment. It is also infinitely more robust, since one can load a single template of sounds for a multi-piece production, and keep it open while opening and closing multiple sequences in the DAW.

Granted, most users are not slamming against tight deadlines day in and day out. This has affected the marketing strategies of companies who would rather compromise the tools and sell more copies than do things in the way that the busiest professionals prefer. And numbers are on the side of the plugin-DAW implementation.

What we can hope for is that people will continue to develop sample libraries for samplers. Otherwise, when samplers die on the vine of disuse, we will all have been done a huge and devastating disservice.

I'm also eagerly awaiting this release already since I heard the first few snippets. That was however already some time ago, and that, I think, is a reason not to project a GS release too soon, as Hans said he would need to program it from the scratch again (which equals apart from recording time creating a new piano library) - apart from that Hans also said there were features used in Kontakt that simply are not availible in GS. I find the reaction on the sampler format particularily funny, because I miss all the people who want the absolute integration into the sequencer and one-computer-setups which is not very likely if there is a GS setup.

There are many instruments out there doing fine and pleasing many customers without having a GS version availible. I'd not rate a sample library on the availability of such alone, though I can understand this may be a buying factor sometimes. A good reason for this I think is also that Mac users aren't excluded, like with GS only releases. However I think that Hans is really considering the GS version after he already contributed the demo to the GS3 packaged library, but perhaps there are reasons for him not to and maybe he will be focusing on other things after releasing this one.

All the best,
    PolarBear

Bruce,

Your desire for an uncluttered interface is shared by many, tho they don't have to work under the pressure that you do.

What I was trying to get at was the possibility of a literal collaboration between samples developer and sampler developer. No ROMpler, just a straight-up collaboration that could accelerate the bringing-to-market process---and with i-MIDI rules for, say, sympathetic resonance, written by Tascam.

DavidH

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferris
    Bruce,

Your desire for an uncluttered interface is shared by many, tho they don't have to work under the pressure that you do.

What I was trying to get at was the possibility of a literal collaboration between samples developer and sampler developer. No ROMpler, just a straight-up collaboration that could accelerate the bringing-to-market process---and with i-MIDI rules for, say, sympathetic resonance, written by Tascam.

DavidH
    i-MIDI could easily do that. I will ask the developers about the possibility of getting this done.

Thank you for the clarification. I really hope the pendulum begins to swing back.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear
    There are many instruments out there doing fine and pleasing many customers without having a GS version availible. I'd not rate a sample library on the availability of such alone, though I can understand this may be a buying factor sometimes.
    True, of course. However, a GigaStudio version is a defacto standard which enables many platforms, not just Giga.

And for me, I simply cannot work with Romplers in my setup. I need the DAW machine to be able to stream lots of audio tracks and effects, sequence MIDI, and stream full-frame video without being bogged down. Separate Giga machines just simply do the trick, dependably and efficiently. I have not had this success with other formats. And I think there are many people in my position who work exactly the same way for the very same reasons.

I don't begrudge someone releasing what is basically a sample library wrapped in a player. I just want to see the samplers supported, so that the situation is win-win.

"i-MIDI could easily do that. I will ask the developers about the possibility of getting this done.

Thank you for the clarification. I really hope the pendulum begins to swing back."

Bruce Richardson
    --------------

Bruce,

All right!

DavidH

The other thread mentioned the new Art Vista piano working in Kontakt 2.02. Does this mean that if you buy the rompler version, and own Kontakt 2, that you could in fact use Kontakt 2 host the piano? And if this is the case, then Kontakt 2 could be run on a separate machine, if you so chose, as a stand alone.
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lougheed
    The other thread mentioned the new Art Vista piano working in Kontakt 2.02. Does this mean that if you buy the rompler version, and own Kontakt 2, that you could in fact use Kontakt 2 host the piano? And if this is the case, then Kontakt 2 could be run on a separate machine, if you so chose, as a stand alone.
    Yes, exactly, thats what i do. Also GS and Kontakt can run on the same machine side by side. K2 has 4 midi ports now just like GS. Just be careful ,that they each get there own dedicated midi ports. Also K2 works seamlesly with other VSTi`s in a dedicated midi rack like Forte brainspawn or V-stack..theres lots of diff. working combos once you experiment a bit.. Best, Rich

Go Back to forum