• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Overture 4 - finally a notation program for US!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Overture 4 - finally a notation program for US!

Geniesoft announced the Feature List for Overture 4 on their forum. Its great to see a notation developer finally writing some features for users of sample libraries and soft-synths. Overture 4 will be a complete VST host for up to 256 VSTi's and four FX, and has a key editor/midi data controller lane integrated right into the notation/score editor view!!!

In addition, the articulation markings can send keyswitches/program changes/controller data making them actually useful and not just pretty to look at.

There's like a bagillion other features you can check out on their forum announcement, but I'm pretty excited abou tthe idea of loading up Kontakt 2 right inside my notation software so I can hear everything decent while scoring and then export to my sequencer for final editing, but with most of the controller data and KSes already in place.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Re: Overture 4 - finally a notation program for US!

well, are you going to keep us drooling? senD US A LINK!!! AGG!

http://geniesoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=942

There's a thread on the forum for feature list discussion if you have any questions. Please don't post in the announcement thread.

"Enter MIDI data mode and the notes appear as a piano roll in the measures. Note start times durations and velocities can be dragged. Above each measure is a small MIDI data area where controller data, pitch bend, tempos, etc can be entered, changed, or erased. You can choose the Type of data to be edited as well as the density when entering the data. Extremely powerful for those using notation with VSTi’s and want complete control over the MIDI data directly on the score. Another great thing about this feature is the ability to edit multiple tracks without having to use any dropdowns or menus. So if you are editing Velocity, you can edit it on many tracks at once since all tracks currently displayed on the score can be edited in one session easily. Non-VSTi users can hide this menu or display it as needed."

They dont say how it can be entered....I hope they have a DRAW feature to draw controller information rather than the stupid ratio or ramp features of FINALE.

The features are truly incredible for playback. There are some features in FINALE that I wish I knew OT4 has...such as being able to check ranges, ties, accidentals, and my favorite canon plugin. I also wish they had some scripting capabilities. But the integration to the libraries and the keysw ability is rich! I will end up buying it anyway...

You just draw in the controller data on the score. Draw in expression or modulation CC just like you would in a sequencer directly from the score. Edit velocity, pitch bend, the tempo track, all the same way. Its few clicks away and since its from the score, multiple tracks can be edited right then easily.

And the keyswitching is a godsend, trust me.

Take a look: Overture 4 Screenshot

Shows velocity editing from the score.

The program looks like it was written with me in mind! I had played with it in school on the mac years ago, but its definately improved.

If I can edit multiple staves in one MIDI window, similar to Cubase, man...thats just fantastic. like i said the VSTi and library integration is a god send. No more futzing around with trying to get keysw's just right. Multiple articulation loads on an instrument. Fantastic. Its like an extention of Gold and GPO! Its strength is MIDI for sure, and thats my #1 priority when I write.

In Finale, I constantly use: Scoring and Arranging; TG Composer tools; mass edit/utilities incl duration estimation, so I was hoping they will provide something there. For session work, the score doesn't have to be perfect; but for other submissions, I need the full publishing capabilities that FINALE has to offer. I suppose I will have to keep using both. So, I wonder if MUSICXML will cover...

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    The program looks like it was written with me in mind!
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Are there any examples of what the notation looks like? I wouldn't bet on it being any better than Cubase etc. However, if the input is more of a notation type input than a sequencer, I can see some people using it. For me to be persuaded it would have to be either better than Nuendo for sequencing or Sibelius for notation; anything in the middle is just a fudge.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Are there any examples of what the notation looks like? I wouldn't bet on it being any better than Cubase etc.
    I made this in Overture 3 SE, so full Overture 4 can only be better!

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    For me to be persuaded it would have to be either better than Nuendo for sequencing or Sibelius for notation; anything in the middle is just a fudge.
    This the notation of Sibelius (only much easier to use (I compared Overture 3 SE and Sibelius demo from their site)) and the sequencing of Nuendo (well, I only had SX 3, close enough) in one program, which I find extremely convenient. Then exporting into a full sequencer for finishing touches will be the final stage or skipped as Overture seems to be able to do all the controller data needed and KSing needed.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Daryl, the program is primarly a notation program and always has been. However, it contains a sequencer type Graphic Window in which you can edit note lengths, enter midi controllers, etc. same as any sequencer. No it doesn't contain all the bells and whistles a high end audio application does, but if you feel more comfortable with a notation program but want all the midi editing capabilites of a sequencer, its one tight integrated package.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast