• Register
  • Help

Topic: Upcoming SampleTekk Tubed Rhodes

Share/Bookmark

Upcoming SampleTekk Tubed Rhodes

Well, I've decided to release it....

About a year ago I sampled a friends Rhodes Mk I 73 Rhodes.
    It had just been serviced by one of the leading Rhodes guys in Sweden and was in a very good condition. The guy who owns the piano bought it new in the mid 70's and has always taken good care of the instrument.

Since Scarbee made this wonderful 73 I decided to do something different.
    I know that the Fender factory used Fender Twins as a reference amp when setting up the pianos and pianists in bands I've played with also used Twins asa a amp for their Rhodes, so I thought I give it a go.

The Rhodes is therefore sampled using a miked Fender Twin! The amp was set to play clean but gives the piano a charachter that differs from a piano sampled straight, and that was the purpose!

All notes has been sampled in 16 different velocities with 16 matching releasesamples giving it 32 samples/note. You all know what this means for dynamic expression!

Here's some demos. They have been published in another thread, but I though that I make a new thread since this will be another subject really.

Here's a couple of more demos. First three made by Wolfgang Klutsch.
    Thanks Wolfgang for letting me use these for the demos!

TubedRhodes Demo 1
    TubedRhodes Demo 2
    TubedRhodes Demo 3
    TubedRhodes Demo 4

Still testing, so any suggestions are welcome! I'm gonna shorten the release a bit and work some more on the releaselayers.

Planned releasedate: August 1:st and price not really set yet, but I think you will like it.....
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Re: Upcoming SampleTekk Tubed Rhodes

Sound very promising.... and very different from Scarbee !

Is there ambience added ? If not, the miking sound quite ambient...

Sound is very clean, not only the *sound* (almost no saturation), but also it seems very very much in tune.

Upper Bass have some raisonnance that might be difficult to manage, but maybe my playback system is not so accurate... Scarbee one don't have this pb because the bass is more even and saturated...

Well, thank's to work on a scarbee 73 alternative... there is none for the moment !

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    Sound very promising.... and very different from Scarbee !

Is there ambience added ? If not, the miking sound quite ambient...

Sound is very clean, not only the *sound* (almost no saturation), but also it seems very very much in tune.

Upper Bass have some raisonnance that might be difficult to manage, but maybe my playback system is not so accurate... Scarbee one don't have this pb because the bass is more even and saturated...

Well, thank's to work on a scarbee 73 alternative... there is none for the moment !
    Hi.

No, there's no ambience added. The demos are made using the samples with no effects added.
    I guess that miking could add some ambience, but it was miked close.
    The Rhodes was tuned directly prior to the recording so it should be ok!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Yikes,

great job.

I had a Rhodes growing up and this sure sounds like that keyboard I had.

Miking it is a must I feel for this instrument.

By the way, why did you choose not to use the actual Rhodes speakers instead of a twin?

Quote Originally Posted by football
    Yikes,

great job.

I had a Rhodes growing up and this sure sounds like that keyboard I had.

Miking it is a must I feel for this instrument.

By the way, why did you choose not to use the actual Rhodes speakers instead of a twin?

Thanks! Yes, it does add some character to the sound, doesn't it.
    The Stage 73 doesn't has any speaker built in and I happened to have a Twin around. Also, I'm used to play with guys using Twin as a amp for Rhodes, so it was a bit of a flashback.....
    I saw it as a experiment as the usual way of recording a Rhodes for sampled instruments are to line them, so I thought I'd do something different.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Well, that Twin does sound great with it.

I had that big bottom cabinet that went with the Rhodes. I don't know what they call that. I think it had two twelves in it.

I sold them together many years ago for $400. That sucker sounded great but was a bitch to move.

Go Back to forum