• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: gs3 alternatives

Share/Bookmark

gs3 alternatives

ok well i'm having difficult problems running gs3 on my system, but it's a great program.. so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about other software that meets gigastudio calibur. - joe

Re: gs3 alternatives

Biff

What particularly is the problem with your system?

There is Halcion, Kontack2, and LinuxSampler as some mainline options...

the system has to kind of "meet" the sounds of each velocity before being able to successfully play them without skipping out on me. initially, when i play each note, the sound gives out and the CPU meter starts jumping. I'm 100% sure it's not the CPU, so I'm guessing it's the program. It does this in the beginnning and then afterwards it works, but in some cases it doesn't. Another probelm is a crash on closing the program, bluescreens, and restarts my PC.

Biff:

There are alternatives, but the sound quality will not be there.
    If you like GS, do not give up.
    What is your system? Are you running on one hard drive? Are you running Outlook Express,Norton, and a lot of other programs with GS? How much memory you have? Did you do a "CLEAN" install of GS? Etc., etc?
    It is NOT the program, it is your system giving you the problems. Thousands running GS without any serious problem. Cheer up and read up, uninstall and reinstall and follow recommendations, you will be fine...

Ted

Well, Biff:

You are going to have to give us a full report of your configuration, instead of a general statement for us to even being to recommend anything specific, or to give you some suggestions that may help your current situation with G3.

There is plenty of tuning advice, but at a minimum you should have as much memory as you can afford, and a good sample hard drive that is different from your boot drive. A decent soundcard with GSIF2 drivers. As few background services and applications as possible running. There are some tuning sites to suggest here, but first report back to us MOBO, HD, Memory, and anything else that is attached to your system including OS

ok i'm running a P4 2.8ghz, 1.5 gb DDR, duel 120gb HD, one is maxtor external USB2.0, which is for backup, and the other is 120gb hitachi ATA which has windows xp, GS3, pro tools, and other programs. GIG files are located here. i have many other programs installed besides GS3, but running usually are panda antivirus, protools, and GS3.

well right away, you should disable all the background stuff from memory like virus software. Gig files streaming from your os drive is definately a red flag. It depends on your HD speed. Try to copy a few to your USB Drive just to see if you have the speed to stream from there. GS is a bit flakey, so the more apps and things you can disable from startup and from system services, the better. Defrag your hard drives.

You also didnt mention your soundcard...buffers might not be set right. Driver mught not be compatible.

Here are tuning sites:
    http://www.tascamgiga.com/TASCAMGiga...imization.html
    http://www.musicxp.net/

For services, try this archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/200411280...servicecfg.htm

Youre on your own on which ones to disable or set to manual.

This is a first step. Once this is tweaked, we can look at memory and virtual memory usage.

Quote Originally Posted by biff
    ok i'm running a P4 2.8ghz, 1.5 gb DDR, duel 120gb HD, one is maxtor external USB2.0, which is for backup, and the other is 120gb hitachi ATA which has windows xp, GS3, pro tools, and other programs. GIG files are located here. i have many other programs installed besides GS3, but running usually are panda antivirus, protools, and GS3.

ok thanks a lot, i went to Black Viper's site and tuned windows exactly how I want it. It's a lot faster now. Anything else I can do?

ok so I changed all these services, and now when I try to run GS3, rewire or standalone, it just freezes on the splash screen and nothing happens. i can use the rest of my pc when this is happennoing, but GS3 wont open.

You still didnt mention your soundcard OR if you are running XP. I CANNOT HELP YOU without knowing the complete configuration. BE VERY CAREFUL ON WHAT SERVICES YOU DISABLE OR SET TO MANUAL. Please post the ones running here so we can see.

Aso, two other things:

TASK MANAGER
    Ctl alt del
    goto processes

ARe any running here that are applications that conflict with GIGA?

goto performances
    What is your total and available memory (Physical Memory )
    under PF Usage What is this reading?

What is you virtual memory size?

Quote Originally Posted by biff
    ok so I changed all these services, and now when I try to run GS3, rewire or standalone, it just freezes on the splash screen and nothing happens. i can use the rest of my pc when this is happennoing, but GS3 wont open.

Go Back to forum