• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Thoughts on FX-Max FXTeleport?

Share/Bookmark

Thoughts on FX-Max FXTeleport?

I'm interested in this product by the makers of FXFreeze. It apparently lets you use networked computers as low-latency VST farms, apparently avoiding complex cable/mixer/routing setups entirely. The makers also claim the latency is lower than standard MIDI networking. This seems like an incredibly tempting option, compared to building an uber-DAW with dual 3.6ghz Xeon processors or picking up a dual G5 Mac.

Has anyone used this program before? I don't really know much about this type of technology at all, since I've previously done all my work on one system in the past with no networking whatsoever, so any advice on the subject would be appreciated.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Re: Thoughts on FX-Max FXTeleport?

I currently have 3 computers linked to my DAW via FX-Teleport and GVA and am very happy. There were a few winkles that needed to be ironed out to start with, but now I am very happy with the setup. I have heard it said that more than 4 slave computers can overload the network, but so far I don't have any problems.
    I suggest that you read the FX-Max forum in detail as most of the answers to your questions will be there.

D

FX Max solution is the only one to provide a 32bit flt format all over the audio chain.

The question is : do you want to work in real time or not.

Cause if you need real time, I say good luck to you.

It needs a lot of CPU to get a 7ms loop for only one 32bit stereo channel...

Personally I gave up.

(The second problem is the use of the Performance Tool if you need the VSL. It supposes to use Midi over Lan simultaneously to avoid this issue.)

(Just a recent link about this subject : http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35851 )

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal
    FX Max solution is the only one to provide a 32bit flt format all over the audio chain.

The question is : do you want to work in real time or not.

Cause if you need real time, I say good luck to you.

It needs a lot of CPU to get a 7ms loop for only one 32bit stereo channel...

Personally I gave up.

(The second problem is the use of the Performance Tool if you need the VSL. It supposes to use Midi over Lan simultaneously to avoid this issue.)

(Just a recent link about this subject : http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35851 )
    Well, it all depends on your workflow. How many audio channels would you be sending out via an analogue cable? I send between 5 and 8 from each computer and have not had a problem yet. Regarding real time, yes there is a slight lag, but as long as your sequencer compensates this is not a problem (for me).

The second thing to note is that there is no problem with the VSL performance tool...!

D

As long as I'm able to hit "play" and hear everything in sync, I don't care how much of a delay there is between me hitting my keyboard and hearing sound, or me hitting the play button and hearing sound - if I'm understanding it correctly then, FXTeleport would fit my needs.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_st
    As long as I'm able to hit "play" and hear everything in sync, I don't care how much of a delay there is between me hitting my keyboard and hearing sound, or me hitting the play button and hearing sound - if I'm understanding it correctly then, FXTeleport would fit my needs.
    Yes, try it out; the demo is free and the actual licence is not a lot anyway, certainly not when compared to the cost of one soundcard.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal

There's also Apulsoft Wormhole there.

Cheers,

ck

The second thing to note is that there is no problem with the VSL performance tool...!
    I have to precise that I only tested Gigateleport. (I can’t test the FX-Teleport+GVA solution, it’s a mystery...)

And about the latency, I really don’t understand how anyone can record a midi file without a real time latency.
    Whatever the talent of the sequencer to compenssate the playback...
    It will never compensate what you are playing / recording...

Another mystery for me...

There's also Apulsoft Wormhole there.
    Yes, but without native drivers. It needs a host too for each servers, which is painful to build a ‘CPU’ farm, in my opinion.

I think the FX-Max vision is really the good one.

An ‘all in one’ solution.

Midi over LAN + Audio over LAN + Native drivers (including GSIF) + a VST/VSTI host.

It’s exactly what we need.

I’m very frustrated to have only a poor P4 2.6 + Athlon 2800+ to test it.

It may work in real time with the actual CPUs...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I am getting a playable latency with GigaTeleport. Not as latency-free as hardware, of course, but comparable to MOL...just a tiny bit more lag. Still playable, except perhaps for drum pads.

I am using AMD 3000+ machines.

Alternatively there MIDI over Lan from Musiclab. I haven't tried it, but it might be a good option.
    http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm

Go Back to forum