• Register
  • Help

Topic: Setting Part Levels on self-contained Grooves

Share/Bookmark

Setting Part Levels on self-contained Grooves

What's the quickest and easiest way to reduce the volume of just the hi hat in a loop when the drum parts are all on one mixer slider in RMX?

The particular loop/groove in question does not have a hi hat only version or a version with everything minus the hi hat otherwise I could have run the two together and set the relative volume levels of each.

I don't really want to resort to velocity editing either unless I really have to...

Cheers

screentan

Re: Setting Part Levels on self-contained Grooves

Just create an edit group for the slices in question.

Play a hi-hat slice from your midi keyboard and choose "Create Edit Group" from the Assign menu (click on the grill on the Edit page to expose it).

If you want to add more slices to the edit group, choose ""Enable add/remove" from the Assign menu, then play the slices you want to add, clicking on the "Add Slice" button for each one.

Once you have those slices in an edit group, you can use the level fader on the Edit page to adjust the level (or make any other edits you want to the edit group).

- Glenn

Glenn, that works well when the part is a solo instrument, or you want the entire cluster to be manipulated, but what about when there are three instruments in a slice, and you only want to modify one?

Obviously not possible in the current version, and would require some serious multitracking to be workable (plus all the re-org of the libraries...) but are there any work-arounds beside EQing the bejeezus out of the slice to make the part pop or fade?
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Perfect isolation is often not required to achieve basic balancing of elements within a groove.

Generally speaking, classifying the loudest element in a slice will get you great results for Mixing and effecting.

It's not perfect in every single case, but the results are quite amazing none-the-less....and it opens up many doors that were previously closed and impossible to do. It's all in how well you classify the Edit Groups.

spectrum

Thanks Glenn, I tried your suggestion and it worked for the first hi hat in the part/groove which is 4 bars long. As there are 16 hi hat slices in this particular groove, it would suggest that I have to make 16 edit groups, one for each slice and then adjust the volume of each one. Have I got this right? If so, then velocity editing might be preferable I think...

Many thanks.

screentan

Quote Originally Posted by screentan
    Thanks Glenn, I tried your suggestion and it worked for the first hi hat in the part/groove which is 4 bars long. As there are 16 hi hat slices in this particular groove, it would suggest that I have to make 16 edit groups, one for each slice and then adjust the volume of each one. Have I got this right?
    No, that's not right. See my message above about adding slices to an edit group using the "Add Slice" button. That way all 16 slices will be in the same edit group and can be editted as a unit.

- Glenn

Great, got it sorted now as per your instructions. The functionality of RMX never ceases to amaze me!

Now, sorry to be a real pain but I had an automated filter going on the whole groove and now the hi hats are bypassing the filter which stands to reason considering what I have just set up with the edit group to control the volume of the hi hats.
    This is probably asking way too much but is there an easy way to re-include them in the filter but not the volume?

Many thanks

screentan

That happens automatically. When you create an edit group, all the settings from the "Main" edit group are copied to the new edit group. In other words, all the settings in the new edit group initially match the Main edit group. So, if you had a filter in use on the Main edit group, you'll get that same filter setting in the new edit group when you create it.

After you've created the edit group, the settings diverge. If you make a change to the Main edit group _after_ creating "Edit Group 1", that change will only apply to the Main edit group (and vice versa).

- Glenn

I see. I had the master filter being automated by Cubase SX3. When I created an edit group for the hi hats, it wasn't affected by the filter anymore, I'm guessing this is because it was automated and dynamic as opposed to a single static setting. I then copied the same automation part to the respective automation lane in Cubase for the new edit group and it worked - the hi hat was filtered identically to the main edit group in real time.

One weird thing I have noticed, and this goes for all my plugins so it's probably a Cubase thing, when I was typing in the name of the new edit group in RMX, Cubase seemed to be responding to the letters as shortcut keys. Also and when I hit backspace to correct a typo, it deleted the track and not the letter, even though Cubase was in the background and the focus was on the edit group title box...

Cheers
    screentan

See the "cubase" section in the RMX faqs at http://www.spectrasonics.net/rmxcommunity
    There's a tip there that might help with the typing issue.

- Glenn

Go Back to forum