• Register
  • Help

Topic: need slur help PLEASE!

Share/Bookmark

need slur help PLEASE!

Hello all:

I recently bought GPO and have to admit I found some limitations that I was not expecting, and was kind of discouraged. However, thru this forum and some experimenting, I have gotten over most of them. I do have one last major problem, though, that is very discouraging. I would appreciate ANY AND ALL help on this:

I create my music using Finale (2005) (my piano skills are not at the level to key the pieces in using a MIDI keyboard, I am way faster on the qwerty keyboard). For best mixing possibilities, or to mix in instruments not found in GPO, I like to save the piece as a MIDI file, open it in Home Studio (Cakewalk's lite version of Sonar) and do further balancing and mixing.

The problem is slurs, for ex.: flute. When the piece is playing back in Finale (using HP), the flute slurs are beautiful and the piece is hardly recognizable as a PC performance. But when playing back in Home Studio, there are NO slurs and the piece sounds terrible, with an audible articulation on every note, even those under a slur. I was told before I bought GPO that this was not a problem, but now no-one seems to know how to fix this.

I have done my homework and looked thru the help, and forum, and the final answer still eludes me. I found the finGar plug-in for Fianle, but it has not solved the poroblem. I tried to contact Adam Burford, but he is deceased. I found a piece on the forum that looks like it was created the way I create my music that sounded great, and tried to contact the composer, but have not gotten an answer.

I KNOW that there is an answer to this. If Finale can send some kind of message to GPO that makes these slurs sound great, then I know all I have to do is find out what it is and figure out how to do the same in Home Studio. I don't know if the answer is in how I save my Finale file as a MIDI file, or how I manipulate the MIDI file once it is in Home Studio (or both).

I am new to the GPO forum, and hope somebody out there will be able to help. As I said, it seems to be the last obstacle to my conquering GPO.

Please help!

Thanks, Boisty Music

Re: need slur help PLEASE!

Hi, Boisty music.

First of all, make sure GPO has its polyphony set above 1. I've found that 4 or higher works best. Second of all, make sure that all of the notes you want to be slurred, not tongued, are with the sustain pedal down. Depressing the sustain pedal, I think, chops off the attack providing a very smooth slur-like transition. So remember: tongued/bowed notes=sustain up, slurred notes=sustain down.

Hope this helps
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by boisty music
    Hello all:

I recently bought GPO and have to admit I found some limitations that I was not expecting, and was kind of discouraged. However, thru this forum and some experimenting, I have gotten over most of them. I do have one last major problem, though, that is very discouraging. I would appreciate ANY AND ALL help on this:

I create my music using Finale (2005) (my piano skills are not at the level to key the pieces in using a MIDI keyboard, I am way faster on the qwerty keyboard). For best mixing possibilities, or to mix in instruments not found in GPO, I like to save the piece as a MIDI file, open it in Home Studio (Cakewalk's lite version of Sonar) and do further balancing and mixing.

The problem is slurs, for ex.: flute. When the piece is playing back in Finale (using HP), the flute slurs are beautiful and the piece is hardly recognizable as a PC performance. But when playing back in Home Studio, there are NO slurs and the piece sounds terrible, with an audible articulation on every note, even those under a slur. I was told before I bought GPO that this was not a problem, but now no-one seems to know how to fix this.

I have done my homework and looked thru the help, and forum, and the final answer still eludes me. I found the finGar plug-in for Fianle, but it has not solved the poroblem. I tried to contact Adam Burford, but he is deceased. I found a piece on the forum that looks like it was created the way I create my music that sounded great, and tried to contact the composer, but have not gotten an answer.

I KNOW that there is an answer to this. If Finale can send some kind of message to GPO that makes these slurs sound great, then I know all I have to do is find out what it is and figure out how to do the same in Home Studio. I don't know if the answer is in how I save my Finale file as a MIDI file, or how I manipulate the MIDI file once it is in Home Studio (or both).

I am new to the GPO forum, and hope somebody out there will be able to help. As I said, it seems to be the last obstacle to my conquering GPO.

Please help!

Thanks, Boisty Music
    Boisy,

Using Fin 2005, create 2 text expressions with the playback set to : sustain pedal down/up. Assign a metatool to each of these. Now you can quickly go thru your score and assign these expressions at your slur start/stop points.

Or order Fin 2006 and the new human playback will auto-matically play your GPO slurs back correctly.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    First of all, make sure GPO has its polyphony set above 1. I've found that 4 or higher works best. -Chris
    Just a caution here: The tongue/slur feature for wind instruments will only function as designed if the polyphony is set to "1." Higher polyphony settings effectively disable the monophonic function of the instruments and will require the user to (manually) make certain that there are no overlaps between notes.

As to using tongue/slur in Finale with HP, I would suggest that you contact Finale directly and see if they will reveal the details of how note lengths and overlaps are handled in their software under Human Playback. They are likely making internal changes to the data that are not reflected in an exported MIDI file. If you can get that information you will be able to handle the data in a similar fashion in your sequencer to duplicate their approach (which is almost certainly a different approach than GPO.)

Otherwise, use the sustain pedal approach as it is designed to be used in GPO: Tongue=sustain pedal up (cc64, value "0",) slur=sustain pedal down (cc64, value 127.) Placement of the data should precede the note "on" position. Slurred notes should connect or overlap (a polyphony setting of "1" keeps them from actually overlapping.) Make sure the player is set to pedal mode 2 in the Options menu so that the pedal switching function is activated.

For this and other information see my flute tutorial here: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33375

Tom

Go Back to forum