• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which DAW has Surround Sound Ability?

Share/Bookmark

Which DAW has Surround Sound Ability?

Hi all!

My nephew Patrick (one of the many group buy GPO owners), is looking at getting a sequencer but wants one that will allow for surround sound mixing.

Any hints? He likes Tracktion, but unless there is a VST plug-in for surround sound mixing that can be purchased separately, he won't be getting it.

Any suggestions there?

Thanks,

Jerry
    (He will be a member of the forum soon!
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Re: Which DAW has Surround Sound Ability?

Sonar Producer has surround sound mixing capabilities. However, you do need the speakers to do the surround mixing in.

I know Nuendo 2.0 has surround mixing, but I'm afraid to play with it. It looks scary.

-Chris

Best bet is Digital Performer 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by porieux
    Best bet is Digital Performer 4.5
    I don't know which version of Digital Performer my grandpa has, but he absolutely hates it. Not to put down DP, I think his version is much older than 4.5, but his version he absolutely hates. Just a warning. Again, it's an older version. The newer versions should (hopefully, from what I've heard about his version) be better, and I don't mean to generalize all versions of DP. This just what I've heard about an older verion.

-Chris

It's really hard to believe that anyone would hate DP for any reason that was reasonable. Unless he's trying to use version 1.0 or something I wouldn't take it too seriously. I've been using DP since 2.5 and it has always been great. The only issues were performance during the initial transition to OSX, but that affected all DAWs.

And version 4.6 just came out today in fact with a slew of awesome new features.

Quote Originally Posted by porieux
    It's really hard to believe that anyone would hate DP for any reason that was reasonable. Unless he's trying to use version 1.0 or something I wouldn't take it too seriously. I've been using DP since 2.5 and it has always been great. The only issues were performance during the initial transition to OSX, but that affected all DAWs.

And version 4.6 just came out today in fact with a slew of awesome new features.
    I think it was the lack of audio editing features and lack of ease with audio editing that wasn't good. I'm not quite sure, but I just thought I'd mention that. If newer versions are better, then that's fine--don't really pay any attention to my post. I just thought I'd mention my grandpa's comments on DP.

-Chris

Cubase SX 2 has surround mixing capability (including either 5.1 or 5.0).

I have done some initial tests on the way to preparing my first 6-channel DVD (or perhaps SACD if/when an encoder pacakge becomes "prosumer" priced as discWelder "Bronze" is for DVD-Audio). Selecting a 6-channel output is pretty much as straightforward as selecting a normal "stereo" out. When you do, Cubase SX presents a pictogram of a "cube" in which you can place the channel.

I'm sure there is more info from Steinberg on this.

i hope this helps ... KevinKauai

Go Back to forum