• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problem with tempos varying

Share/Bookmark

Problem with tempos varying

Hi everyone,

In a brass arrangement, I noticed that the first dozen or so notes were varying in tempo. Sometimes all in tempo, sometimes slower or faster in different places, which was rather noticeable in the first few notes of the piece. I am using Sonar, and I changed all the timing parameters I could find, to no avail.

I then switched to use full Kontakt 2.0, as a VST, and the tempo was rock solid (so it's apparently a problem in Kompakt?), only I couldn't play a tuba (not that I could ever play a tuba, but...). Some of the tubas would not sound at all, one had a missing note, one note that wouldn't sound, I mean, so I'm not sure how to work around this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks,
    Lee
    There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
    -Bach

Re: Problem with tempos varying

Try adding an empty measure before the music starts. This usually allows all the controllers to catch up before the first note starts.

Thanks for the input, I put in an extra measure, and this made a three-second initial delay, and yet the problem is still occuring. Then I (accidently!) tried using GPO as a DXi synth, instead of starting GPO studio manually, and the tempo with GPO as a DXi synth does not vary. So I have a workaround...

Regards,
    Lee
    There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
    -Bach

With Sonar it's not necessary to use GPO Studio. It justs adds an extra layer between Sonar and GPO.

I recommend using the VST version of GPO with Sonar as there is a tempo change bug with the DXi version. Adding tempo changes with the DXi will result in incorrect note lengths causing what appears to be stuck notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    With Sonar it's not necessary to use GPO Studio. It justs adds an extra layer between Sonar and GPO.

I recommend using the VST version of GPO with Sonar as there is a tempo change bug with the DXi version. Adding tempo changes with the DXi will result in incorrect note lengths causing what appears to be stuck notes.
    Right on target! GPO Studio was designed for software that can not make use of DXi or VST. And, Gary recommends VST over DXI, as I also do. Studio really loads your cpu, much eaiser to add noise with it, as well as dropouts and other misc. troubles. If you have trouble with Sonar and VST, ask here, and you will find plenty of Sonar users glad to assist.

Richard

Go Back to forum