• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: UK bombings

Share/Bookmark

UK bombings

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    My sympathies and hopes for good will go out to my friends in the UK at this time. I trust that you are all well.

Re: UK bombings

I would say that all Englishmen are my friends today.

_

Best wishes for the families of the victims, and the health of the injured. No one deserves such an attack while going about their day to day lives.

And best wishes for a fast, accurate investigation. Let's hope those responsible are quickly brought to justice.

-JF

Well, I'm OK. But get this: a friend of mine was just about to board the tube train this morning at Kings Cross, when he saw an old friend on the platform. He stopped to say hello and let the train go, waiting for the next one.

You guessed it - the train he let go was one of the ones that got blown up. How amazing is that?

This is a horrific incident. I've never actually lived in a city when something like this happened before. Maybe I've had a sheltered life.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    And best wishes for a fast, accurate investigation. Let's hope those responsible are quickly brought to justice.

-JF
    I'm afraid I have pretty strong feelings about "those responsible" - particularly our Prime Minister and your President, for launching a cynically powermongering foreign policy involving the wholesale slaughter of thousands of innocent civilians to steal their resources. Unfortunately I very much doubt that they'll be brought to justice any time soon.

Anyone with half a brain knew this was coming, the moment the Bliar sold our national soul and honour to Dubya Inc. It was a question of when, not if.

I'm very sad, and unspeakably angry.

I see - never those responsible for the acts are actually responsible. It's other people's faults. Got it. That makes those who committed these acts newborn infants, I guess, because only infants can be deemed 'not responsible' for their acts.

That's a very poor statement to make on a day like today.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media
    www.moondogmedia.net

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Doggett
    I see - never those responsible for the acts are actually responsible. It's other people's faults. Got it. That makes those who committed these acts newborn infants, I guess, because only infants can be deemed 'not responsible' for their acts.

That's a very poor statement to make on a day like today.
    While my heart goes out to all the families of all of those who were killed or injured, burying our heads in the sand about who is responsible for this is irresponsible itself.

Yes, these terrorists ARE responsible for their actions, and nobody is saying any different. But it's also time for Blair and Bush to take responsibility for their completely reckless foreign policies that have caused the terrorist pool to grow by leaps and bounds over the last two years.

You aren't stupid and you know very well that that's what OTH was saying.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Who's responsible for 9/11 then? Bush had only been in power for a matter of months and the attack was obviously planned well before he took office. 3,000 dead in comparison to the tragic loss of 37 today and hundreds wounded.

So who's to blame for that? Can't wait for this answer.

Dave Connor

I brought up the "those responsible" phrase. I intended this to mean those who took part in the bombing by planning, supplying, aiding, placing and detonating the devices. Nobody here wants those people to get away with this crime. They need to be brought to justice. Period.

The sensitivity here is that 911 led to two wars, killing many innocent people. Yet bin Laden is still free. That's not justice.

I think we all want those who were responsible brought to justice. And none of us want any more innocent people to die. I don't believe that anyone here is arguing otherwise.

-JF

First, my condolences. I almost feel guilty for being glad it wasn't any of my relatives in London who got killed or hurt.

dpc, you have to read Chalmers Johnson's "The Sorrows of Empire." Actually, everyone should read it, whether or not you agree with everything in it (and I agree with enough of it to find it staggeringly shocking, even though it's a little OTT how he only looks at that side of events). We have a very unpleasant history of imperialism, evidenced most strongly by an empire of military bases all around the world. The one that especially pissed off Bin Laden was in Saudia Arabia, and for that reason it was shut down as soon as there was a face-saving excuse (namely our victory in Afghanistan). That seems to be the main thing that triggered 9/11.

What Bush has done is switch from mostly economic imperialism to unbridled military expansion of our empire. In other words, he's exacerbating the situation immeasurably, with complicity from Tony Blair - who isn't nearly as bad as Bush, but he is going along with the Iraqi oil grab. (Yes, that is mostly what's at the root of it.)

And that's why I agree with Ouch, who I'm willing to bet also blames the people who set the bombs off but is looking at the bigger picture. Of course it was unavoidable. It's almost certainly going to happen in this country too; the question isn't if, it's when.

And by the way I do think 9/11 was planned before Bush was ushered into office.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast