• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Candlelight and Piano Solo

Share/Bookmark

Candlelight and Piano Solo

Hi All:

This is a rendition of one of my favorite Jerome Kern/Ira Gershwin tunes. It is so endowed with romanticism and lush chord progressions--also abrupt modulations.

So, turn down the lights, pour a glass of wine.........and listen.

John

www.cannonscores.com/LongAgoAndFarAway.mp3
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Candlelight and Piano Solo

Another beaut,John.I have always loved this old tune,since I saw Gene Kelly singing it in one of those old MGM musicals.Now what was that movie called..........
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Another beaut,John.I have always loved this old tune,since I saw Gene Kelly singing it in one of those old MGM musicals.Now what was that movie called..........
    regards
    Gene sang this in the movie "Cover Girl" from 1944. Even though Gene was under contract to MGM this particular movie was actually produced at Columbia as a vehicle for Rita Hayworth. Gene was "loaned" to Columbia for the movie. Turned out to be a very good move for Gene because the impressive "alter ego" dance gave a boost to his reputation at MGM and he was given the chance to do much more from then on.

Tom

P.S. Very nice work John!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Gene sang this in the movie "Cover Girl" from 1944. Even though Gene was under contract to MGM this particular movie was actually produced at Columbia as a vehicle for Rita Hayworth. Gene was "loaned" to Columbia for the movie. Turned out to be a very good move for Gene because the impressive "alter ego" dance gave a boost to his reputation at MGM and he was given the chance to do much more from then on.

Tom
    Ah yes cover girl,Thanks for the word tom.
    regards

Thanks Joaz and Tom. I've got to look that movie up. The last time I heard this tune was on Public Television when they showed the "Ira Gershwin at 100" review a couple years back. A lot of stars and great orchestrations.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

That's some seriously high-tone piano work, there, John; superb!

(Also just listened to the cuts you did with DPDAN on bass.)

Kern/Gershwin are no doubt showering blessings on you from beyond for this one... thoroughly enjoyed the performance!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    That's some seriously high-tone piano work, there, John; superb!

(Also just listened to the cuts you did with DPDAN on bass.)

Kern/Gershwin are no doubt showering blessings on you from beyond for this one... thoroughly enjoyed the performance!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thank you David, you are always so encouraging. It's a pleasure to know you.

John

Really nice job sequencing this piece. You obviously have great piano "chops"!

I never heard this particular tune before. But I'm glad to hear it tonight! Thoroughly enjoyed the listen.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke
    Really nice job sequencing this piece. You obviously have great piano "chops"!

I never heard this particular tune before. But I'm glad to hear it tonight! Thoroughly enjoyed the listen.

Ted
    Thanks Ted:

I actually just played it into my DP 4.12 sequencer as I wanted to check to see if the GPO Steinway was too CPU intensive for my Mac laptop (1.5 Ghz CPU and 1 GB of RAM).

There was some latency, but not enough to throw my timing off as is the case sometimes when the latency is really bad.

I did some editing in the velocity area, but kept the "human feel" as is (no quantizing). I was surprised that it turned out fairly well. Now, I know I can handle the GPO Steinway, but not with other instruments on my Mac laptop. If I use the Steinway with other instruments, I have to render it to audio first and then build the instruments around that audio track.

Thanks for the comments.

John

Man, you have a real nice touch! They just don't write them like this any more.

Way to go! Thoroughly enjoyable.

My best,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast