• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Announcing a SOLUTION to the "Machine Gun Effect

Share/Bookmark

Announcing a SOLUTION to the "Machine Gun Effect

Over the past couple of weeks (since I first discussed a technique for solving the "machine gun effect") Kevin Fletcher Tweedy ("KevinKauai" on most music Forums) and I have been collaborating on "codifying" the approach/technique and providing some solid documentation so that other folks might easily apply the benefit. Along the way, Kevin volunteered some excess bandwidth on one of his web sites and we began putting together an "info" page to "spread the word" on how to apply this technique in Kontakt 2.

We are now ready to release this INFO page, a Tutorial to go with it and 128 Patches that address some of the more problematic instruments in EWQLSO/Gold. Although these are offered "as is" (and "at your own risk") they appear to be solid and without problems. Though they address instruments that you would normally use in the included Kompakt player with EWQLSO/Gold, the initial group of 128 Patches supplied can only be used in Kontakt 2 because they use features which are not yet available in the version of Kompakt that Gold uses.

We have had additional assistance from enthusiastic Beta-testers who have given our "release" a basic "sanity check". We would, of course, appreciate the prompt reporting of any problems so that we can fix the "Info" page and Tutorial (and Patches, if need be).
    Everything is now available starting with this page: http://www.kevintweedy.net/K2/info.htm

Note that we are encouraging folks who have Kontakt 2 and other sample packages to provide their "contributions" for the general good. We hope that others will take our example and send in Patches using this technique from which others may benefit.

Theodor Krueger
    (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia)

Kevin Fletcher Tweedy
    (Kauai, Hawaii, USA)
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Re: Announcing a SOLUTION to the "Machine Gun Effect

Wow... not only this is an excellent work, but it is also really generous from both of you!

Thank you Theodor and Kevin

Fantastic! What an innovative and clever solution. This solution is almost ironic - it's using an artificial playback method to get around the limitations of artificial instruments and make them sound MORE real
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

A better 'solution' is for developers to actually sample multiple variations for each velocity for each note and then round robin or random cycle them.

Great work on efficiency though Theo as the technique above doesn't use any additional RAM.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

I believe several of the QLSO Gold patches labelled 'UD' or up/down actually do have round robin sampling, but that's only two samples per velocity layer and note. Even when you vary the velocity, you still get a machine gun effect when it's sampled like that, at least, that's what happens when I sequence fast string passages. Nonetheless, two samples is still better than one, and even though I wouldn't mind seeing more for a complex instrument like a violin, it's better than nothing! Many libraries and even most of the articulations in Gold don't have anything in the way of cyclical sampling, unfortunately for us.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

When computers get more powerful I wouldn't be surprised to see more variations. 10 or more would be great, but think about how much data that is... ouch!
    Brain Edwards

Talking Re: Announcing a SOLUTION to the "Machine Gun Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    A better 'solution' is for developers to actually sample multiple variations for each velocity for each note and then round robin or random cycle them.
    There are ALWAYS better solutions, Alan, but [a] we are not sample developers, and [b] we are working within the constraints of what has been dealt us and what is available NOW.

Theo's innovations deserve the annual (is there one? if not, there should be!) Native Instrument Kontakt prize for excellent adaptations.
    Quote Originally Posted by zircon_st
    This solution is almost ironic - it's using an artificial playback method to get around the limitations of artificial instruments and make them sound MORE real
    Thanks for putting it in perspective, zirc. What I'm concerned with is the END result. Sure, other solutions will come along in the future, but this is here NOW!

I rescored/revoiced a piece of mine from September 2004. While this is not as "pure" an "A-B" as what Theo provided in the MP3 sample file, it does illustrate a piece FULL of fast repeated notes. You be the judge -- there are loFi and hiFi version of both versions of "Un Voyage à Grande Vitesse" at the top of this page -- following the introductory and album info at the top. This piece contains a lot of quickly repeated notes in strings, xylo and other accompaniment instruments (from 1:18 on).

KevinKauai

Great work, guys! Very elegant solution! Beautiful idea! - Blind Lemon

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    Theo's innovations deserve the annual...
    You're kidding right? This is nothing new at all... but a great thing you guys have done, so... Bravo!
    Brain Edwards

If any EWQLSO Platinum users are interested, Kevin has uploaded a collection of Kontakt 1.53 compatible round robin files here which should also work in Kontakt 2 as well as the Kompakt Player.

If someone could verify these files, please post your findings here.

Thx

©hris

Go Back to forum