• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sibelius 4 is out

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius 4 is out

http://www.sibelius.com/

Judging from the feature list, there appears to be no new GPO integration and midi controller editing functionality along the lines of Overture, which is very disappointing...

- robjohn

Re: Sibelius 4 is out

Quote Originally Posted by robjohn
    http://www.sibelius.com/

Judging from the feature list, there appears to be no new GPO integration and midi controller editing functionality along the lines of Overture, which is very disappointing...

- robjohn
    Well, it won't begin shipping till August, and I can wait. I am concerned about problems with augmentation, , dimunition, inversion, retrograde, and importing triplets. I posted a request on the Sib Tech chat page, and am awaiting an answer.

It will import Finale files, which was a needed improvement.

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 07-05-2005 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Swatted Enter too soon.

It supports video import and "hit points", which is killer.

If it includes better control over the MIDI performance, I'll likely upgrade. If not, I won't. The holy grail for me is one database that syncs a pro score with a pro sequence.

-JF

That's what's so frustrating. It has video functionality, but what's the purpose (other than doing mock-up scores with proper hit points you then give to live musicians to play/record) if there's no greater control over midi? They were really onto something with Live Playback - things seemed to be heading in the direction of precisely that idea of sequencer functionality but in a notation program. I really wish they had pushed this further, which doesn't seem to be the case at least in terms of their feature list, instead of jumping to video without it...(just my two cents!) That way, I could have truly done finished product to picture (using, for example, GPO!), all within a "notation" program...Oh well :-)..
    - robjohn

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    It supports video import and "hit points", which is killer.

If it includes better control over the MIDI performance, I'll likely upgrade. If not, I won't. The holy grail for me is one database that syncs a pro score with a pro sequence.

-JF

Unhappy Re: Sibelius 4 is out

>>but what's the purpose (other than doing mock-up scores with proper hit points you then give to live musicians to play/record) if there's no greater control over midi?

Probably they only thought those who used real orchestra all the time...

I just disappointed that they did not include "midi-note first then duration" type of inputting mode (like finale does)...
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Seems to me more like a collection of unrelated enhancements, rather than a major upgrade release. ( the music educators seemed to have won this one ... good for them ).

Didn't notice very much that directly related to the ongoing, infamous '.... very long list' of future features. Maybe it's time to look up, and around.

-- atonal

Hey folks,

I don't want to start a 'Who Is' Better War, but can someone give me a basic comparison of features between the two? Ex: Finale includes GPO instruments, human playback, blah blah.
    I own neither but am interested. I heard that Sibelius has an easier learning curve?
    But I echo everyone's concern. It'd be nice to playback our own VST's AND have the midi control, with a SMPTE ruler (my peception is things are synch, but you aren't setting a timecode?).
    Sincerely,

Jonathan
    www.hollandaudio.com

Don't get caught up in that whole learning curve thing about Sibelius and Finale. I use and teach both programs, and Finale is just as easy to learn as Sibelius. I think that the learning curve rumor must have been started by a Sibelius user. Both programs work well and can be mastered with a little time and effort.

I prefer Finale, especially now that the new version will come with GPO sounds!

Just my 2$

Peace

Rik

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP
    Hey folks,

I don't want to start a 'Who Is' Better War, but can someone give me a basic comparison of features between the two? Ex: Finale includes GPO instruments, human playback, blah blah.
    I own neither but am interested. I heard that Sibelius has an easier learning curve?
    But I echo everyone's concern. It'd be nice to playback our own VST's AND have the midi control, with a SMPTE ruler (my peception is things are synch, but you aren't setting a timecode?).
    Hey, Johnny.

I'd break it down into two higher level categories first in terms of priorities.
    1. A real live orchestra will be playing it, need detailed musical notation
    2. Pro level control over all aspects of MIDI file
    If 1 is your prioirty, then programs like Finale / Sibilius / Overture would be the next category to explore. However, if you're not printing sheet music for real live human beings 2 may be more important, in which case you'll want a sequencer with notation input such as Sonar, Nuendo, etc. Of the notation programs, Overture is aimed at providing good functionality in both directions, and if you need some of both but can live with compromises, it may be the "best bang for the buck" choice.

I know a lot of folks here compose with GPO as a mockup and then take the music to a live orchestra to record. For that, you need "real" notation software. In my case, however, I compose and record "in the box", so GPO is what goes to the mix. Consequently, I use Sonar to compose with in their notation view which lets me "write" the music (I have no real keyboard chops), but then gives me access to the full power of a pro level sequencer. I also use Nuendo, but for my taste find Sonar preferable for composing and use Nuendo for audio mixing.

Personally, I think all of the popular notation and sequencing software out there is great stuff. The important thing is to match your needs to the appropriate package.

Anyway, hope this helps break it down for you a bit.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I think that "learning curve" is the wrong term. When I bought Sibelius 2, I found that it had a faster user input than the Finale version of the day. It wasn't difficult to learn, but it does take a small investment of your time.

Maybe Finale has improved its note entry since I evaluated it way back when, so I can't really do an up to date comparison. I would prefer entering the note, and then the duration though. In Sibelius you enter the duration first. My brain is wired for note first.

-JF

Go Back to forum