• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help with noise.

Share/Bookmark

Help with noise.

Hello friends,

I have an issue with noise when I use my synth[motif attached to my laptop using usb connection]. It's an issue with the noise that comes from the power supply, if I remove the power supply from laptop and run it on battries, the noise is gone. Till now, I've never used motif enough to care about the noise problem as I would run my laptop on battries when rendering. But now I need to use it extensively and cant take this noise any more. What are your suggestions to get rid of this noise. I need to sort this issue urgently.

Thanks.

Re: Help with noise.

That is the same problem I had with a USB card connected to my destktop PC. Try to connect the USB device through a DI with lift/ground switchboard. The noise will go away!!!!
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Hello Lee and Tari,

Thanks for your response as this is something very urgent I want to get rid off.

Lee: About the power supply - it's 3 pronged for both laptop and motif.

As both Lee and Tari recommend the ground lift off. Can you please explain what it is and where can I find the cheapest one of these from?

Yes, I tried google but what I found was jacks and crains[the power ground offs I found are too expensive to buy right now].

Thanks.

Hi robin¡¡

I have the Di 20 from Behringer is really cheap and it is stereo!!!! It works!!

Look here:

http://www.behringer.com/DI20/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Good luck
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Thanks for the link, Tari. It's really cheep, so I'll try it out and see how it works. I'll let you know.

But do you think that it might have something to do with the soundcard? When I plug my headphones directly into Motif, I do not hear that loud noise[though, there is little in the background which is hardly audible when music is playing].

Do you think if I plug the motif outputs into a mixer, and record straight into mixer[harddrive based], it will be better?

Bye

Hi Robin!!
    I think the problem is not the soundcard. All the Usb audio devices I tried with my laptop had noise, so the problem is the electric system of the laptops(that was what a sound technician told me). So the only solution is running with batteries (which is a temporary solution) or connecting the audio outputs of the usb device to a DI. with a switchboard lift/ground, and the DI to the mixer or to the soundcard. I am sure it will be the solution for you. Anyway, I am sure you know a friend who can give you a DI to try before you buy one.

Good luck!!!
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robin123
    Hello friends,

I have an issue with noise when I use my synth[motif attached to my laptop using usb connection]. It's an issue with the noise that comes from the power supply, if I remove the power supply from laptop and run it on battries, the noise is gone. Till now, I've never used motif enough to care about the noise problem as I would run my laptop on battries when rendering. But now I need to use it extensively and cant take this noise any more. What are your suggestions to get rid of this noise. I need to sort this issue urgently.

Thanks.
    The audio is entering the laptop via USB? This is one of the strangest things I have ever heard of, unless I am totally misunderstanding, and there is something analog in this chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Bruce, the Motif's MIDI can be controlled via a USB cable from the computer to the Motif's USB port. That's what I assume he's talking about. I suppose he could be using a USB AD/DA box too, but I doubt it.

Lee Blaske
    Lee is right Bruce, it's connected via usb for midi transfer[the audio is not transfered via usb], then I have 1/4" jacks transfering audio from motif to the sound card.

I will try the 2 prong adaptor first - but do you think it's safe enough or are there any chances of getting the laptop fried in this case[then I can get a DI box as recommended by Tari]

Thanks again, friends.

Go Back to forum