• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help - performance legato problem

Share/Bookmark

Help - performance legato problem

Gotta strange problem that I've been able to duplicate, but I can't figure out why or what it is. It happens to only one instrument: VSL Flute 1st edition Performance Legato patch, and does not affect the other legato instruments on the same port in GS3. When I first play the flute, all works well. When I hit record and play something into SX3, the "start note" (ie - no legato, just a straight 1-note sound) starts off by playing as though it were a legato transition, from whatever the last note hit was, even if that note has long since been released.

I played with the PerfTool settings, release and threshold, just to make sure it was't accidentally set funky, but it's right. And I think its odd that the clarinet and other legato instruments running through the same Tool to the same GS3 port aren't suffering the same problem. It only happens "after" I hit record. Before that the flute plays normally.

I'm gunna post this at the VSL forum too, but I'm in a rush for answers (supposed to be working on alot, and I NEED that flute.) here's my setup nutshell'd:

Comp1 (SX3) runs GigaTeleport to Comps 2 and 3 (GS3) and rewire to local GS3.

It also runs MOL to Comps 2 and 3 to only the reserved port 4's for the PerformanceTool.

The only GigaTeleport tabs that are activated are A, A2, A3, and B, B2, B3. The Performance Tool on both machines is set so that ports 1-3 are passive, and the 4th port runs the midi in from MOL to the 4th Port in GS3, where any performance instruments are loaded.

If anyone's had a similiar problem, or if there was an old thread (I searched) please kindly hook me up. Thanks

Re: Help - performance legato problem

Mike, your setup is WAY heavier than mine. But I do own some vsl stuff....

Have you tried recording, ignoring this anomaly, and checking to see if the recorded track plays back correctly?

If it doesn't, try the "repetition key". It's what allows you to play successive same-notes without triggering legato repetitions (a contradiction). If your first note recorded is the rep key, then that will tell your performance tool that the next note is definitely to be articulated.

Hope this helps,
    Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Mike, your setup is WAY heavier than mine. But I do own some vsl stuff....

Have you tried recording, ignoring this anomaly, and checking to see if the recorded track plays back correctly?

If it doesn't, try the "repetition key". It's what allows you to play successive same-notes without triggering legato repetitions (a contradiction). If your first note recorded is the rep key, then that will tell your performance tool that the next note is definitely to be articulated.

Hope this helps,
    Belbin
    And speaking of which, your original problem may be caused by some midi message going awol and triggering the Ghost Key on the same channel. that's the one that tells the perf tool to NOT articulate (in case, say, you're slurring from a standard instrument on another track).

Good Luck!

Belbin

I suspect there is a Midi message going on at the same midi channel interfering with the performance file. Do you make use of the octave offset in the performance tool? If not I'd give it a try and transpose that down and/or up to try if anything changes as a workaround meanwhile. I'm sure you checked and it's obvious, but you didn't mistakenly mix up channels and ports in the performance tool and your sequence as well as you selected the correspondant legato mode, "Legato" (and not e.g. "Hor-Leg" or "Guitar-Leg") in your Performance Tool?

Another test could be to move the patch to another port and Midi channel and see if and what changes. Also to temporarily turn off Rewire and bounce internally in GigaStudio.

I'm just reading your post again - I'm a bit confused: are you running GigaTeleport and MOL and Rewire at the same time? Perhaps one or the other only is the key to your problem?

Glad for the replies, thnx - I'm pretty sure after working on it all night that it is ghosting, but it only seems to happen when I press play or record. It won't recognize the release of some notes while playing back, and others it does. If I'm not playing back/recording, just doodling on the keyboard, then it works better in that if I let go of a key, the sound goes off, but if I hit another key, it starts on a transition note as if I hadn't released the original key. I don't see a pattern in that yet unfortunately.

I did check the basics carefully (not to say I haven't missed something obvious, but I'm pretty sure everything's correct, ala the right performance leg pal file, and port/channel routing.) I don't see anything else set on that same channel. I will try switching octaves in the morning - that's a really good idea. There just isn't a replacement for this flute when it comes to certain types of lines.

I am using all 3 (GigaTeleport/MOL/Rewire) concurrently. I've heard of the VSL router for PerfTool use, but have been using MOL for a long time and didn't think I needed to use the VSL one (maybe that would help?) GT is the mainstay between remote machines, Rewire for the local instance of GS3, and MOL is just for use with performance tools on the two machines. Somehow this all works great (and stable - I can hardly believe it...) except for this one problem that crept up from somewhere.

Ideally, I wouldn't be using so many different methods, but GigaTeleport requires either MOL or the VSL router to get PerformanceTool stuff to work, and as far as the local instance of GS, it's either Rewire or the GVA tool (which I don't have, but would consider if it had some merit over the Rewire.)

With a sigh and a arghh... I'm for sleep now, but I'll try moving the patch around tommorrow and experiment with the octave setting. Perhaps it is just an isolated midi ghosting on that one channel (which is possible, since the flute is on port 4, channel 1 and the clarinet works perfectly on channel 2.) I've never had the nightmare issues some have with all this tech, my devil always seems to be in the annoying little issues. I'll let ya know what I find then - and thanks!

It may possible (indeed, this may be a well documented fact, for all I know) that your sequencer sends a note off message on all channels when playback/recording begins. If this is the case, and your first note is right on the downbeat of your recording, then the perf tool may be getting the note off, then the note on for your first note. If this first note falls within the threshold you've set in the perf tool, then the perf tool would probably think you're playing two notes legato.

Just thought I'd throw that one out too.
    Interesting problem. Good luck, and keep us posted on the outcome.

Belbin

Well, I think I got it. It seems the input for the FX-Max midi plugin had become re-activated for port 4 on both GS3's. I'm not sure how or when this happened, as the template has been saved with this setting from the first incarnation on, but I guess it got reset and saved incorrectly the last few. I set it correctly, and with a few reboots, it seems to be working right again.

What this doesn't answer, is why both computers had the same settings error, but only 1 seemed affected, and also why it seemed to only affect the flute on the one. The flute was on channel 1, I switched it to channel 3 of the same port, and had the same problem. The legato clarinet on channel 2 had no issues at any point.

I dunno. Truthfully, as long as it works, I don't care. (just gave my wooden desk about forty knocks...)

FWIW the VSL router and MOL do very different things. You only need the router for the PT but you don't need MOL at all, as Giga Teleport does this for you.

D

Daryl, I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but it sounds like you're saying that I have no need for MOL at all? I downloaded the VSL router - cool of the Vienna folks to do - but after looking into it, I don't really have any use for it since I run PT instruments on two other computers, not my local one (since they tend to eat a great deal of the memory resources.) From what I can tell, the VSL Router is just a local-only, 1 instance version of a MOL type of thing, creating a virtual midi pipe.

If I don't need it, please lemme know how to accomplish this, as I've never been able to get GigaTeleport to communicate with the VSL PT. To use performance instruments on another machine with Teleport, it is assumed that you must use either MOL, Maple, or if it's local, the VSL Router. At least this is how it's been, and if it's not the case anymore, I missed the memo! Could you clarify a bit?

Go Back to forum