• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can you recommend a stable audio interface?

Share/Bookmark

Can you recommend a stable audio interface?

I'm using Sonar 4, NI Komplete and a bunch of Kompakt based instuments (e.g. Galaxy Steinway).

I've been using a Tascam US-122 USB audio interface.

I'm happy with the sound quality & features of the US-122.
    It could of been a beautiful unit, but I have useability issues with it:

• The sound always stutters when used with my new AMD/nForce4-based PC.
    • The sound stutters with modem use on my P4 laptop (865 mobo).
    • I get blue screens, particularly with hyperthreading enabled. I only get the blue screeens when I'm using my audio software. Perhaps Sonar (latest patch) or NI (also latest patch) are the culprits, but my intuition is the Frontier drivers are still buggy.
    • I can't suspend my P4 laptop with it plugged in. Frontier have agreed this is their problem, but haven't fixed it in five months.
    • The latency is too high for visiting piano virtuosos - "Look, I can almost get my fingers off the keys before the note sounds."
    I've decided to cut my losses and buy another interface, perferably FireWire, so I can use it with both PC & laptop.

A few more XLR & 1/4" inputs would be useful (I've got two at present), and ideally a second headphone jack for monitoring. I need midi as well.

I want to buy around the lower end of the market (not talking RME Fireface)!

Having read a few user reviews, it looks like I could easily end up with another dud - I thought mAudio would have been a safe bet. Not so apparently.

Are their any safe bets at the lower end of the Firewire audio interface market?

My wish list:

• Good preamps (I'm using a Rode K2 mic).
    • Rock-solid drivers.
    • Good OS integration (e.g. can suspend PC overnight, so I don't have to wait for all the samples to reload in the morning).
    • Stable with HT and (hopefully) dual-core CPUs.
    • Works with PC & Mac (I'm eyeing the 12" PowerBook for rehearsal & gigs).
    • Low latency.
    • 4+ inputs XLR / 1/4".
    • Midi in/out.
    • Ideally gain knobs & overload leds on each input.
    • Phantom power (I've got another condenser mic).
    • Headphones (x2 ideal).
    • One stereo line-out enough.
    • Vendor responsive in fixing bugs.
    Thanks!

Re: Can you recommend a stable audio interface?

I've decided to try the Presonus Firepod.

sucks that your us-122 is causing you problems... I purchased mine over a year ago, and have not experienced the problems that you have, then again I haven't tried suspending my machine. I was interested in the presonus interfaces, until i found that they did not support gsif or gsif2.

How is the Firepod?

I use a us122 with my Acer 1681 Laptop and it works flawlessly. Very resonsive with WG, BG, Bards, and PMI libs. I have the power profile setup not to sleep or hibernate... can't have any dozing off during live performances. But I use Sonar 4 with Giga and Sound Forge and not any NI stuff... that may be the difference. However, I just picked up my first piano library with an NI engine so I guess I'll know for sure soon enough.

Howard
    Ragtime Press

Quote Originally Posted by howardv
    I use a us122 with my Acer 1681 Laptop and it works flawlessly. Very resonsive with WG, BG, Bards, and PMI libs. I have the power profile setup not to sleep or hibernate... can't have any dozing off during live performances. But I use Sonar 4 with Giga and Sound Forge and not any NI stuff... that may be the difference. However, I just picked up my first piano library with an NI engine so I guess I'll know for sure soon enough.

Howard
    Hello Howard
    I just replied to another thread you had commented on, but will post here also...
    I also want to use my laptop on gigs, playing various piano libraries (Old Lady, Emperor, PMI Bos, RSP, and the new VGP)
    Do you think it better I go with the US-122 over the Echo Indigo I/O. I am not interested in recording on my laptop, more to play GS3 libraries with the lowest possible latency with no "crackles or pops".
    Also, do you use an external hard drive, and if so, which one?

Go Back to forum