• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Looking for people who own both K2 and GS3!!!

Share/Bookmark

Looking for people who own both K2 and GS3!!!

Ok, let´s do it! I am opening this topic for people who own both K2 and GS3 and want to participate in an interesting discussion. Here are the guidelines:

1 - Choose a .gig patch. Converting it using Kontakt batch conversion.
    2 - Set Kontakt and Gigastudio maximum polyphony to the same values. (remember that Kontakt counts stereo voices and Giga counts mono voices! Then if you set 256 max in K2 you must set 512 max in GS)
    3 - Load the patch in Gigastudio. Write down memory usage by using Ctrl+alt+del, then summing the size of Gigastudo.exe and msg32.exe. Then test for maximum polyphony and write the results down.
    4 - Do the same with Kontakt. Watch out for Kontakt´s memory usage. If it is a VST then you should watch for your sequencer´s memory usage.
    5 - Share your results. Don´t forget to post you computer´s specs and the libraries used!

The idea is to benchmark GS3 and Kontakt2 performances when using the same libraries, regarding memory usage and polyphony.

Now, here are some RULES:

1 - Please, participate only if you own BOTH samplers.
    2 - No giga-maniacs or Kontakt-maniacs allowed in this discussion. Extremists are BORING, and are not welcome in this topic. Besides, we are looking for FACTS, not opinions.
    3 - If you don´t have some numbers to post, then don´t post at all. We are looking for FACTS, not opinions. (don´t mean to be repetitive, but... )

Come on people, let´s do some tests!!!

Re: Looking for people who own both K2 and GS3!!!

These are my previous results. (from Kontakt forum)

Library: Sam Trumpets – Patch (close) Sustain 1 Rel_S
    Computer: Athlon XP 1700 – 1 GB Ram – 120 Gb Seagate Barracuda exclusive for samples, newly formatted drive
    Kontakt 2 – latest version, DFD set to 256 notes (512 voices)
    GS3 – latest version, set to 512 voices max polyphony

Sequencer – Cubase SX3 + giga VST adapter

Results after loading the instrument:

GS3 – 31% of total memory used (according to GS3 interface)
    Msg32.exe – 263.168 K
    Gstudio.exe – 32.348 K
    Total memory load: 295516K

Voices result: 270 voices – dropout
    240 voices - clicks and pops

Kontakt 2
    Cubasesx3.exe (before kontakt+patch loaded) - 83.276 K
    Cubasesx3.exe (after kontakt+patch loaded) - 231.076 K
    Total memory load = 147.800K (calcutaling the difference)

Voices result: 256 notes (512 voices!!!) – dropout
    no clicks and pops until dropout

Very surprising outcome.

hi,

i didn't test Kontakt2, and i am not considering myself an extremist, but

how did you get those results?

I own Sam trumpets, and loading /close Sustain1 Rel_S gives me 3% total memory use, not 31%....... (msg.exe uses 85Mb, not 263)

regards
    Karin

I own both, but am more familiar with gigastudio; kontakt for me is still alien, unpredictable. Your tests just don't seem realistic to me -- 512 voices on gigastudio is way too much. What is the point of mashing down hundreds of notes at the same time? If you come up with a more interesting test I'd be happy to help with offering readings on my system.

your tests are simply not accurate. please test in standalone mode again!

as i sayed before you canot stream trough another application and hope for good latency values! also your kontakt 2 settings are too low. with 256 voices in dfd i am getting crackles @20% and up on all motherboards and all rme cards @ 1.5ms and 3ms, even on the good ones (nforce2,nforce3,k8t800) and its getting worse with the no so good ones (pci latency wise): Intel i865, i875, i915,VIA, KT800 and so on. on all tests we did k2 needs more memory then GS3 and needs a way higher latency setting. gigastudio3 is playing with no crackles on good mobos even at very high cpu usage @1.5ms.
    and to do a real 100% a/b cpu performance test i would not recomend to convert gigastudio librarys because you never now if everything is konvertet and playing right or at least use simple sounds with just one mono sample each key etc.
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by karin66
    hi,

I own Sam trumpets, and loading /close Sustain1 Rel_S gives me 3% total memory use, not 31%....... (msg.exe uses 85Mb, not 263)

regards
    Karin
    i dont own sam trumpet and i also was really wondering about that too.
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by karin66
    hi,

regards
    Karin
    to me it sounds like he accidentally loaded the whole .gig rather than just the sustain1 patch.

i have both gs3 and k2, although not currently at my disposal, and have found gs3 to be very good at memory handling. still, the polyphony results i have got are pretty similar to the ones in the original post... for some reason gs3 needs incredible amounts of processing power for something as simple as streaming samples, especially for 24bit ones. i usually run out of cpu power *really* fast when using gs3, with a p4/2.6ghz, and kontakt seems to be much more efficient at this (i have two sata drives exclusively for samples, so this shouldn't be a problem). because i currently must run my sequencer and sampler(s) on the same machine, i'm slowly getting tired of gs3. what exactly does it need all the processing power for?
    i might try to post more accurate results when i have access to my system again.

this thread -- posted many places in many forums -- stuck in my mind as I've been using kontakt2 more and more. Still far prefer gigastudio, but k2 is growing on me slightly. But just wanted to update the relative performance: on one pc, i'm using 48 midi channels on k2, with about 45 total instruments loaded, many keyswitched and duplicated on more than one channel; also have one small reverb on one output channel -- and this seems to bring k2 near the edge of its performance capability (cpu readings getting high, not memory being full). On a similar, different pc, at the same time I'm using 160 instruments on 102 midi channels, along with 4 gigapulses. As far as efficiency, seems to me that gigastudio is far ahead.

Yo Gug:

Are the PC's exactly the same hw? Are they standalone? Are the samples the same rates - 16/44.1?

newmuz, not exactly the same, but rather similar hardware; both k2 and gs3 are set up stand-alone. K2 by itself, gs3 with sonar at the same time running as midi sequencer (but not playing any audio); sample rate the same; I use 88.2 and 24bit settings for both soundcards and samplers.

It's very hard to compare directly at least without the control of a testing lab's methodology, which is the source of my discomfort with the original post.

Go Back to forum