• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS2.5 vs GS3 latency

Share/Bookmark

GS2.5 vs GS3 latency

I'm talking from midi note to audio out.

Is GS3 that much better?

Also, what's the minimum processor/speed combination I need to get solid performance with a 128 byte buffer? I'm not talking convolution reverbs, just single instrument live playing.

As a point of reference, I'm currently using a 2700+ XP. No problem at 256 bytes, a few minor crackles at 128. The problem is that I can't handle the 256 latency. 5ms may equal 5' of air but that's 5' + the actual position of the speaker so if we're talking 8' away the effective latency is 13ms. When I am playing a synth action the time delay between feel of the key hitting bottom and the attack of the piano sound drives me nuts.

Ernie
    Last edited by ohernie; 07-05-2005 at 10:01 AM. Reason: grammer

Re: GS2.5 vs GS3 latency

Good thing you don't play the pipe organ...

Not to take you too seriously ... but ...

The piano has a sharp attack and I am playing it in a dry & close environment, in this case - outside. The pipe organ has sustain and is not a percussive instrument. It has a much softer attack and is played in a reverberant environment so the feel is completely different. One plays those sustains, holding notes down while moving fingers to others. Unless you happen to be working without a sustain pedal that is a pretty useless technique on a piano. The piano's lack of sustain, sharp attack and importance of that attack's timing make the latency critical. I doubt that I would notice it near as much on B4.

Ernie

Ernie

I have GS3.1 with an RME HDSP9632 audio card. I use it as standalone and sequencing from a Mac with Logic pro 7.01.
    I use 64 as buffer size and it's usually rock solid. I have a raid 5 system with 4 SATA drives running at 7200 rpm on a P4 3.4 ghz system with 1 gig of ram.
    I might experience some slight pops in audio if I play a piano sound with lot's of sustain pedalling etc etc..that can be resolve if I increase the buffer to 128. It very rare that I have to do this.
    I could do the same on my GS2.5 system , and that was only on a P3 system and IDE drives..I guess it depends on how gig is the sample library you're using and the speed of the drives.

best

Yves

No, I was talking about a REAL pipe organ, that has 1-3 seconds lataency

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    I'm talking from midi note to audio out.

Is GS3 that much better?

Also, what's the minimum processor/speed combination I need to get solid performance with a 128 byte buffer? I'm not talking convolution reverbs, just single instrument live playing.

As a point of reference, I'm currently using a 2700+ XP. No problem at 256 bytes, a few minor crackles at 128. The problem is that I can't handle the 256 latency. 5ms may equal 5' of air but that's 5' + the actual position of the speaker so if we're talking 8' away the effective latency is 13ms. When I am playing a synth action the time delay between feel of the key hitting bottom and the attack of the piano sound drives me nuts.

Ernie
    But even if you halved Giga's latency, by using the smaller buffer, you would only gain 2.5 milliseconds, thus your total effective latency would by 10.5 milliseconds rather than 13! If you honestly feel 13 milliseconds is so bad that it "drives you nuts", then presumeably 10 will still be pretty bad too. I very much doubt you'll hear the difference in those 2.5 milliseconds!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Don't sing the National Anthem at a big stadium either.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I know, the points still hold.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Yves
    Ernie

I could do the same on my GS2.5 system , and that was only on a P3 system and IDE drives..I guess it depends on how gig is the sample library you're using and the speed of the drives.

best

Yves
    Thanks for the info. What were the parameters for the GS2.5 system?

You were getting down to 64 bytes without pops?

Ernie

Go Back to forum