• Register
  • Help

Topic: Minimized Kontakt Player Disappears

Share/Bookmark

Minimized Kontakt Player Disappears

(July 19 - I think that I have found the problem (and my solution) - see below)

I am using Sonar 4PE. This happens intermittently, not all of the time.

The GPO-Kontakt screen is usually minimized, unless an adjustment is to be made. Same with the Ambience reverb. They get minimized to the lower left corner of the screen (but the minimized 'box' is still visible).

From 3 different day's work (and about 7 or 8 - out of about 30 total - files that I am converting from another sampler to GPO), when I Open one of these files, the GPO and Ambience boxes have disappeared - not under the main screen, like my Console View is apt to do.

(3 hours later: I forgot to mention: The Synth Rack box does not appear when you select it, when the minimized GPO box has disappeared. Also, everything plays OK. You just can't make any adjustments).

Where did they go, and how can I get them back to the screen?

Frank

(I have been having problems being able to Reply and Post on this Forum, so please do not assume that if I don't reply, I am not interested. I am fully functional about 1 in 20 attempts).
    P4 2.6GHz 1.5GB 200+120GB EMU 1820
    Sonar 4PE, 3D speaker array (for AcousModules)
    Cameleon 5000, Vokko, Crystal synth, Orion Platinum

Re: Minimized Kontakt Player Disappears

Frank,
    Outside chance, check last couple of posts HERE.
    Bill

Thanx for the link, Bill.

I have minimized everything, giving a 'blank' screen except for the minimized boxes. I then moved the boxes around to see if anything was 'hiding' behind them. No such luck.

I do not have XP SP2, just SP1, so the second 'fix' is not applicable.

(I have posted this question on the Sonar Forum, too).

Frank

Again, I am using Sonar 4PE, so this may only apply to it, but . . . .

I have been going through many files in a day, and, apparently, the GPO samples just keep being added on top of each other in memory - even the same 'patches'. When I close a file (Sonar "project"), the memory does not clear. So, after a couple of dozen files, the memory (1.5 GB in my case) gets full. The Sonar functions (and screens) are functional, but the GPO-related screens (or minimized boxes) are not displayed, and, hence, are not usable.

My solution: Close all of the programs and reboot the computer. The last file that I called up that had the missing GPO screens now comes up OK with everything there. This has happened several times in the last week, and the 'solution' has worked every time.

(If this is a generic GPO problem, it might well be 'fixed').

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frnewman
    When I close a file (Sonar "project"), the memory does not clear.
    Hi Frank,
    I can't say that I'm experiencing the same behavior. I've just finished opening and closing several good sized GPO-based projects in SONAR 4 PE. Each time I close a project, memory use returns to the same baseline of around 37MB.

Seems like there must be some other problem. Are you monitoring the memory allocation with task manager?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    Hi Frank,
    I can't say that I'm experiencing the same behavior. I've just finished opening and closing several good sized GPO-based projects in SONAR 4 PE. Each time I close a project, memory use returns to the same baseline of around 37MB.

Seems like there must be some other problem. Are you monitoring the memory allocation with task manager?
    Bill -
    Just supposition on my part. When I've opened and closed 20-30 files, I loose the GPO screens, not the ability to play the piece. When I reboot, I can go another 20-30 files. I don't know the average GPO 'patch' size, but it seems reasonable that around 1.5 GB may be taken up by 25 files x 5 patches/file x 10 MB/patch. It is rather consistent - not a random occurrence.

I haven't monitored memory usage. I'll try the task manager, but not knowing how memory works (the nuances, really), I'm not really sure that I will be interpreting things correctly. (Like, maybe, the space is taken, but it is not shown as being used if the link to a closed project no longer exists).

Thanks for the input. Even if I'm not right about the source of the problem, rebooting fixes whatever is adversely happening.

Frank

Bill -
    Just supposition on my part. When I've opened and closed 20-30 files, I loose the GPO screens, not the ability to play the piece. When I reboot, I can go another 20-30 files. I don't know the average GPO 'patch' size, but it seems reasonable that around 1.5 GB may be taken up by 25 files x 5 patches/file x 10 MB/patch. It is rather consistent - not a random occurrence.

I haven't monitored memory usage. I'll try the task manager, but not knowing how memory works (the nuances, really), I'm not really sure that I will be interpreting things correctly. (Like, maybe, the space is taken, but it is not shown as being used if the link to a closed project no longer exists).

Thanks for the input. Even if I'm not right about the source of the problem, rebooting fixes whatever is adversely happening.

Frank

Maybe related, maybe not. Be sure you have Sonar 4.01 at least. There was a quick release of the 4.01 patch, and it has been included on packages shipped since then. I have forgotten what the glitch was. There is also a 4.02 patch currently available, and on 26 July, there will be a 4.03 patch.

Richard

You could try a small free application called MaxMem . This is what the vendor has to say about it:

Have you ever noticed how your computer always seems to run better after rebooting? Do you wish it could be that peppy all day? Well, now it can be with a little help from AnalogX MaxMem!
    AnalogX MaxMem is a realtime physical memory management program that automatically ensures that you always have as much physical memory available as possible. It does this by allowing you to set minimum amounts of memory to be made available under certain circumstance, and then passively monitoring how much system resources are being used. It runs in the system tray, and also shows you exactly how much memory you have available, plus graphs how you've been using memory over the last 60 seconds!

You can also use it manually to remove unused memory patches - a click on the tray icon is all it takes.

Bill -
    Just supposition on my part. When I've opened and closed 20-30 files, I loose the GPO screens, not the ability to play the piece.
    Frank,
    This behavior seems to point to a problem with graphics, not a general problem with memory. That's why I suspected it was related to problem above (XP SP2, which you don't have).

Take a look at task manager while you open and close projects and see how the memory behaves. Before you do this, go to TMs "View" menu, select the "Select Columns..." option and choose "GDI Objects". If this number continues to grow as you open and close projects, there may be some problem with a graphics memory leak.

EDIT: And LOOK HERE
    Bill

Go Back to forum