• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Valse tragique" 2nd try - mp3+score - Please reply

Share/Bookmark

"Valse tragique" 2nd try - mp3+score - Please reply

Since the last tie I posted this, I was blown away with the cold silence of being ignored, I reworked the piece a bit, and created a printable score. Maybe this time it will be more to your liking...

I have not been composing for a long while. Had even less time for orchestrating a few pieces that are waiting for very long. However, while searching themes for a new movie I will score (a kind of weird superhero movie with a twist), I noticed that the 2 themes I was toying around were parts of a valse. What I am trying to say: Lately I somehow do not have total control over what I write... After working on something, I notice things about it that were NOT intented!

OK, let's come to the point. This is the "Valse tragique", composed in 2,5 hours of manic, obsessed writing, then revised and completed in 2 more hours one week later. Of course I will orchestrate it someday, but right now I do not have the time. You will notice 2 main elements: a plaintive theme, and a more hero-like theme. Having a superhero-waltz is something new, eh?

Watch score and download mp3 here - 3'29", 3,7MB

The Piano is, of course, the GPO Steinway. Reverb is Garritan Ambience. please don't be harsh, I know my composing sucks... Hehe..
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Re: "Valse tragique" 2nd try - mp3+score - Please reply

Excellent piece! I like the way you developed the themes and your use of harmony. If you ever orchestrate it (and I hope you do) please post it.
    Val
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Great work with a lot of nerve and economy of the material. I look forward to the orchestra version.

Very nice piece. I enjoyed some of the interesting harmonies. I think this deserves to be orchestrated to get a lush, full sound it seems to suggest.

Thanks for sharing the score too, it is always more interesting to follow with the score while listening.

Kind Regards

LouisD

PS: I'm glad you decided to post Mp3 , I still don't know what to do with oggs...the name suggests something from elsewhere in the universe .

Thank you for your relpies!

I will make sure to post the orhcestrated version, once it will be finished.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

As promised, here are some news: After about 11 months of work I finished my 1st orchestration pass on the "Valse". That means, everything is in place and I will only need to do a few corrections, adjustments and touch-ups here and there. After that I can prepare a printed score. Then, finally, I can mock the whole thing up. Looking forward to using GPO with ProjectSAM Brass and other stuff...

When the whole thing is in a presentable form, I will post it here.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

Hi Peter,

great that your DAW is up and running again. I am looking forward to the orchestrated piece!

Hannes

Nice job on this, Peter. I'd love to hear this
    orchestrated! It's got all the "right stuff"...
    lot of contrast, some really driving segments,
    great forward momentum, harmonic color,
    the works...

Good work!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wow, I think someone has a complex. This is wonderful. The contrast and especially color of your rhythms and harmonic progressions are outstanding. There is a nice late romantic dark humor to this that I enjoyed. Piano solo works usually don't hold my interest for too long but yours is outstanding. You do a great job of thinking outside your own box as a composer, whether it is conscious or not. You speak of your music, in a way, composing itself. To me that is a very good thing. Trust your ear and instinct. Listen to where the music wants to go...

Michael

PS You don't suck...
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Thank you for your nice replies!

Yes, I am afraid you are right and I have a some kind of strange complex... Must've been the traumatic experiences from my childhood. Never show your compositions to friends when you are 15 years old...

However there are good news: I finished the orchestration and prepared a printed score! After I cleaned out 1800 backup files from Sibelius' folders, the program started working much better and crashed only every 1 hour. So much fun...

Now that this important step is done, I can move on to Cubase and start trying to render something presentable...
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast