• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lion's Roar/String Drum?

Share/Bookmark

Lion's Roar/String Drum?

I'm usually the first to say "stop adding instruments, just release it," so I feel a bit sheepish throwing my request in, but what the heck.

Is there any plan to include a string-drum (lion's roar) in GPOA? It's one of my favorite percussive effects--basically a string with rosin being pulled through the head of a snare drum, but it creates a low moaning sound which cuts right through an orchestra for a really cool effect.

I used it in a wind ensemble piece a few years ago, and in my mockup I had to rip one out of a Varese recording and load it into a sampler. It would be nice to have a real playable one.

It would be a quick and easy sample session, just a few dynamics and note lengths--no pitch mapping issues to deal with.

I'll go back to my corner now...

Thanks,
    chris.

Thumbs up Re: Lion's Roar/String Drum?

Not a bad idea. Lion's Roar has its roots as an African instrument. Many samples of the instrument out there and mimicked in General Midi modules. I don't know how feasible it would be in GPOA.
    Styxx

Re: Lion's Roar/String Drum?

I'm guessing you're talking about the quica / cuica ... Yeah I think it works on the same principal, although I'm not as concerned about its african uses. I'm mainly loooking for a few short, medium, and long moans at various dynamic levels. Even just 6-10 options mapped by velocity on 3 keys would be enough for me.

chris.

Thumbs up Re: Lion's Roar/String Drum?

VSL has a good sample of the lion's roar. quica / cuica widely used in Samba. I can see your point. I have one here, nice.
    Styxx

Re: Lion's Roar/String Drum?

My wife is something of a virtuoso Cuica Player,she has 2 or 3 of them.You do hear them in GM soundsets,usually 2 notes.
    Unless you can produce about a 100 different pitches/noises out of them you are not really a Cuica player.(She tells me. )I have some brasillian cd's where the Cuica player plays the whole melody of a song.What a wierd sound that is.
    Unless you had a very detailed,set of samples/articulations,it wouldnt be much better than the dreaded General Midi.
    regards

Go Back to forum