• Register
  • Help

Topic: SOUNDS AND TRANSPOSE LIVE

Share/Bookmark

SOUNDS AND TRANSPOSE LIVE

Hi,

I am quite new to Kontakt (coming from Halion & GIGA), that seems to bee enough stable to be used live.
    I'd like to konw if using scripts is it possible to programm a sort of "play list" in order to change easily and quickly the instument assigned for each midi channel (2 midi channels) and the transpose value.

thanks,

Pippo

Re: SOUNDS AND TRANSPOSE LIVE

I don't know of any way to have the KSP change MIDI channels per se. However, you can effectively select which group is active. So, if you wanted to build a hybrid instrument that layered all the instruments you were interested in, and you put each individual instrument in its own group, you could then write a script to select the desired instrument by simply selecting its group. That in turn could be triggered by the MIDI controller of your choice. However, you could also do this sort of thing in K2 itself without involving the KSP. In this case you would use the Group start capability provided by K2.
    Big Bob (aka Wonderful Bob)

thanks, Big Bob,

I'll go further in group using....

What about key transpose to assign for each tune of my play list ?

There should be a script in order to pre-assign to each tune of a play list a group and a key transpose in order to play live easily without programming the key transpose from the master keyboard ??

tks

Pippo

Question Re: SOUNDS AND TRANSPOSE LIVE

Key transposition is easy to do with the KSP. But, before I can tell you whether or not the KSP can do precisely what you want, you will have to be more precise about it. Simply saying that you want something sort of like a playlist is not sufficient. Try to state exactly what you want in detail, the more detail the better.

I use Kontakt to play live (on stage).

The midi input come from 2 masterkeyboard (midi ch 1 and midi ch 2).

During the concert we play several songs and for each song i need to define:

1) a key transpose;
    2) witch instruments has to play responding to midi ch1 and midi ch2 (only 2 instruments for each song).

I need to have a sort of menu from witch very easily I choose witch song am i going to play (using the song name). The instruments choise and the key transpose has to be programmed inside the script.

Is it possible to write a script like this?

thanks a lot,

pippo

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been buried under an avalanche of things to do.

You're still coming up a little short on detail here. It sounds like you want something like a drop-down list of songs and you want to click on the one you want to play next. But, this sounds like something that you would do by the 'computer' keyboard and monitor. I would have thought you would want to use a MIDI controller and your 'musical' keyboard. Do the two instruments used always require the same key transpose? What is the reason for the transpose (like do you always like to play in the key of C or something)? It seems like each time you describe what you want, I end up with more questions.

I realize it's probably difficult for you to be more precise, but, if you want a simple yes or no answer, you have to say more. If you can be more precise, I'll try to answer your question but I don't want to spend the time trying to guess exactly what you have in mind so I can describe it back to you before determining feasibility.

Perhaps someone else reading this thread can jump in here and try to help you state the requirement more precisely.

hy bob,

thanks for your effort trying to understabd my needings...

"It sounds like you want something like a drop-down list of songs and you want to click on the one you want to play next"
    ----> YES, i'd like to have a drop-down list on my laptop and/or a "key trigger" on my masterkeyboard to move (next song, previous song) within the concert playlist

"Do the two instruments used always require the same key transpose"
    ------>each song as his hown key transpose (different from song and song); Within the same song my 2 musical keyboards (remember midi ch 1 and midi ch 2) has to have the same key transpose.

"What is the reason for the transpose (like do you always like to play in the key of C or something)?"
    --------> YES

BOB, it's quite strange that my needing sounds new to the forum....to me seems to be a basic needing to have hands free on stage...using a pc for the sampler and having the ksp capabilitites should be possible to set up a macro that basically does what now am i doing on the masterkeyboard (set the key transpose and choose the 2 instruments at the beginning of each song).

I hope this is enough....

p.s. during the pat metheny concert I saw Lyle Mays pushing a key on the Pc at the beginning of each song, he never had to change any other parameter of the 4 keyboard he used..

by,

Pippo

Your need may be very well understood by some others on this forum but, unfortunately I'm just a 'studio-type' guy.

As far as I'm aware of, the KSP doesn't provide any ability to create general MIDI commands other than note on/off and controller settings. I don't beleve there is a way, for example, to generate or read program change or channel change messages.

What is provided is a a way to select the active group and, as I've said before, MIDI pitch transposition. Whether or not the KSP could work for you depends somewhat on how much work your willing to do to prepare your instruments in advance. Once you've properly setup your instruments, you could write a script that will react to some MIDI controller and select the next group (and transpose amount) from some table that you pre-constructed. The usefulness of this approach would depend somewhat on how much 'on the job' flexiblility you might need.

However, I can tell you this. If you wanted to hire someone to write such a script for you, you would have to provide much more detail than you have so far. But, if you can write your own script, then I guess the answer to your question is 'maybe'.

Go Back to forum