• Register
  • Help

Topic: Standalone vs Rewire

Share/Bookmark

Standalone vs Rewire

Hi. Most of the time I am going to want to use Gigastudio 3 without a sequencing program (I will use external hardware sequencer). But sometimes I will want to use it in conjunction with Sonar 4 PE. Is it easy to switch back and forth between Standalone and rewire mode? Is it something you have to specify at install time or can you support both after the product is installed?

Thanks for any help you're willing to give me ....... Rob

Re: Standalone vs Rewire

My only problem with rewire is that my soundcard cannot dynamically load and unload the GSIF driver (what GS uses for recieving midi data when not in rewire mode). So standalone-rewire-standalone is not possible w/o a reboot. I get no sound on the change back to gsif mode. Other than that it sounds fine to me. Also, this problem, I believe, is particular to my soundcard (Delta 44).

Belbin

goldberg96, yes: it is an option in the gigastudio settings, and can be changed back and forth. Requires a restart of the program, that's all.

Using sonar works very well by starting Sonar as your sequencer from WITHIN gigastudio (it's not difficult to set up). Then you get all your 8 ports with 16 channels, and can go back and forth recording midi stuff with ease. When it is time for recording, then you might switch to rewire mode (because of the speed with which it renders).

Is that done by going into settings and defining your sequencer program and then invoking it from the radio button set up for it? If not, could you give me a hint how that's done? Also, if I do it that way, can I have virtual instruments on Sonar and trigger them through the same midi input source (Triton Studio sequencer) as everything else that's on Gigastudio?

Thanks for the help. This is a GREAT forum.

Rob

Go Back to forum