• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about virtual instruments

Share/Bookmark

Question about virtual instruments

Hi folks. I am new to software samplers and software sequencers. I am about to buy a very powerful DAW which will run Sonar 4 PE and Gigastudio 3 orchestra. My question is: How will I handle virtual instruments (i.e. Scarbee Vintage Keyboards). Does giga support virtual instruments? Does Sonar? If I am using an external hardware sequencer, does that mean I won't be able to use something like that Scarbee library or does that library run itself without the need for another program? As you can see, I don't really know how all this fits together yet.

Thanks for any help you're willing to give me ......... Rob

Re: Question about virtual instruments

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg96
    Hi folks. I am new to software samplers and software sequencers. I am about to buy a very powerful DAW which will run Sonar 4 PE and Gigastudio 3 orchestra. My question is: How will I handle virtual instruments (i.e. Scarbee Vintage Keyboards). Does giga support virtual instruments? Does Sonar? If I am using an external hardware sequencer, does that mean I won't be able to use something like that Scarbee library or does that library run itself without the need for another program? As you can see, I don't really know how all this fits together yet.

Thanks for any help you're willing to give me ......... Rob
    Hi Rob,

You can use Scarbee Vintage Keyboards as DXI in Sonar .
    Thomas Hansen Skarbye
    Singer, Bass Player, Composer
    & Creative Director, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com & www.myspace.com/scarbee

But will I then have a way to use an external midi source? My sequences won't be done in Sonar fir some time because they are currently all on the Triton Studio.

Sonar records both Midi data and Audio. I assume the Triton has both midi and Audio outputs
    Assuming you also have a sound card and a midi and audo input you can

TRITON------->SONAR------------>DXi/VST------->SONAR---->Audio out

midi >>>>>>>>record midi>>>>>convert to audio>>record audio>>audio out
    audio>>>>>>>record audio>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>audio out

endless combinations of the same

Start slowly - do the Sonar tutorials (all of them) them, then learn the soft synths you like

Fred

Also note that GS3 plus Sonar is alrready stretching the capabilities of most computers, even fast ones with lots of RAM and drive space. Adding VSTi packages may prove to be too much to do all at once. Consider goint to a second computer - keep one for Giga, one for Sonar and VSTis...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

I'm not going to be pushing Gigastudio 3 too hard. I'm not doing orchestral arrangement or anything even close. If I have 10 or 12 instruments going at a time, that will probably be a lot (at least for now). What my real concern was is that I wasn't really going to get too involved with Sonar initially because I am currently doing all of my sequencing on the Triton. Gigastudio was purchased mostly for live sample playback. I may use Sonar to do some arranging but I would probably not be using it live at gigs (at least for some time). That's why I was wondering if there was some way I could use the Scarbee libraries short of triggering them from Sonar. Can I use Sonar to support the libraries but still use my Triton Studio as the midi source? Sorry if the last response explained that and I didn't get it. Being so new to some of this stuff, I kind of need it in black and white or else I'm not sure I understood.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg96
    Can I use Sonar to support the libraries but still use my Triton Studio as the midi source?
    Rob
    yes you can trigger VSTi's / DXi's "live" in SONAR using an external MIDI source

[Triton Studio]->[MIDI]->[SONAR]->[VSTi]->[Audio Card]
    -david abraham
    Facebook

Go Back to forum